12ft/lb effective range?

I know the rule of thumb that the maximum distance is how far you can get a few shots into an inch circle. But how far is the actual effective range?

I dont wanna waste my time trying to get used to shooting at say 50 yards if my pellets aren't gonna hit with any power anyway.

At the moment I go for 30 yards. But my garden is about 60 yards long or more. Would a pellet retain enough killing power at 60 yards?

I hear the minimum killing power is about 4ft/lb so how would I test this?

Well the power to kill something is 3/lb

So it should do it at 60 yrds

You could crono it and see???

ATB Gilly...

Dont have a chrono to try it with.

I wish there was someway to chrono a pellet by how deformed it was when hitting a brick.

Without a chrono muzzle energy is difficult to pin down. A long way round would be comparing pellet drop with chairgunner, but still less than ideal. A .177 7.9GN premier would have around 650fps at 40yds with a mv of 800fps.

Retained pellet energy and drop will vary considerably with make.

ATB Gilly...

I wish there was someway to chrono a pellet by how deformed it was when hitting a brick.

shoot a yellow pages at different ranges and count what page number it penetrates :thumbs:

ATB Gilly...

shoot a yellow pages at different ranges and count what page number it penetrates :thumbs:

yer sounds like a good idea' also if you have a another gun that you know is doing 12ft you could then compare with your gun and will get an idea of what power your at