The internets affect on the education system

Recently I have got sick of having to search google on my college course. It seems like every time we are in lesson they just say "search google" and its realy annoying.

For instance, how can I or anyone be sure of how accurate the information we are getting is?

It seems like the internet is giving teachers a reason to be lazy, and instead of actualy teaching us anything they just hand the job over to the net. And I've also noticed a lack of decent material in Libraries.

For instance, my college library has books that are way out of date, and they are more or less pointless compared to the internet which leaves me with little choice but to scour site after site.

Im currently in the middle of a few years IT course.

I understand the importance of google, but surely that cant beat proper teaching where you know the information your getting is accurate.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Is this happening everywhere?

Well when i was at school 20 odd yrs back & did home ecconomics when we made stuff it was all packet brought , like cake mixes, so i think nothing has changed really

when we do course work we just have to find pictures and taht and write a bit about how you got them my mate alex just wrote google down for each one and still got a c on it i got a d i think and id acctuually gone out and taken pictures think it was my camera quality to be fair :(

Well at least you got of your arse & did summat :thumbs:

But this is surely a worrying trend. There is no substitute to a teacher explaining things and helping us to comprehend something. Using Google is making kids lazy in their search for knowledge.

And also alot of information on the internet is wrong anyway! And even when its right it is often written by someone with bad grammar and spelling. Not to mention the detail that most sites go into is worthy of a 12 year old at best. And this is being used to substitute teaching!!

A good mate can't get Broadband where he lives and his children do all their homework using either his books or those from the library.They consistantly recieve better marks and higher praise for the originality of their work than their class-mates and come open day its his childrens' work on the class-room walls.

Edited by comanche