which type

have done a bit of beating and am intrested in owning a gundog dont fancy a lab so its basically a choice between one of the spaniels just wondering which are the easiest to train ect ?

also i was talking to a bloke the other day about papers he said dogs can be very expensive if they have the papers . my opinion is its what the owner makes of the dog not what its parents are like?

im intrested in litters in yorkshire area pm me please thanks

I would definately go for a Springer mate. A good handler does make a difference but if the pups arent from proven working stock (with papers or without) you are basically wasting your time in my opinion. Trying to save money by buying a pup that isnt from a good working home would be a false economy and a big mistake. You could probably get a Sprocker from good working parents quite cheaply, and obviously it wont have papers. Hope you get what you are after, good luck in the training when you get that far, and let us know how you get on.

TT. :thumbs:

cheers people

my mate has a springer purely for pet and it is the most hyper dog ive seen in my life !!

that put me off them a bit , does anyone know where any spaniel rescue centres are or if anyone has a litter of pups at the minute ? after a sprocker but willing to look at any working type spaniel

i dont have anything against them its just my mate owned one and we went out with the air rifles shot a squirrel in the bush we kept sending the dog in and it kept coming back out with a bottle or other piece of rubbish !!!

and i dont dislike them as such i just prefer spaniels

just me i guess

Would have to be a springer, they are definately not mad as hatters if they are trained and exercised properly :whistling: seeing one as a pet probably has given you the wrong impression of them as the dog is probably walked but would lack the mental stimulation it woulf receive if trained for working which is what they have been bred for.

As for the papers, at least you get an idea of the working and trialling lines behind the dog and seeing the parents work etc gives you a better idea also, not against non registered pups as long as you do your homework on the litter as in the end either way you get what you pay for.

Nicola

i dont have anything against them its just my mate owned one and we went out with the air rifles shot a squirrel in the bush we kept sending the dog in and it kept coming back out with a bottle or other piece of rubbish !!!

and i dont dislike them as such i just prefer spaniels

just me i guess

I would say (if that lab had had some proper training) that the shot squirrel had in fact cleared off. The dog was just wondering "what do these two want me to retrieve"??? If this is what you are basing not wanting a lab on, you have much to learn about dogs.

never owned one before infact any sort of dog for that matter so i cant be an expert but am willin to learn all i need now is to get the dog which is provin harder than you might think !!!!

With all the rescue centres heaving with dogs, it's amazing how difficult it can be to get what you really want. When you get your dog or puppy, don't just "go it alone", you can learn so much by attending a dog club or local branch of the URC (united retriever club) if you have one. If you can get it right from the start, it's much easier than putting right mistakes. My biggest single complaint with some male handlers, is this need to be macho all the time. Women are much more natural and tend to get faster results, as they don't try to keep up an act. Know in your own mind exactly what you are about to try and teach to a dog, and give praise when it does well. I get really pissed off with blokes who expect a dog to know english, then use the inevitable mistakes as an excuse to knock the dog about.

well said mate . although sometimes a dog needs to be punished but some people just hit thier dog for the sake of it (IT'S WRONG) . sending out all the wrong signals to the dog and then they wonder why it has failed them !!

well said mate . although sometimes a dog needs to be punished but some people just hit thier dog for the sake of it (IT'S WRONG) . sending out all the wrong signals to the dog and then they wonder why it has failed them !!

i have a very good litter of labs ready at end of april bitch is a beating dog and the dog is used 4 picking up great wi water

Hi smarty,

For your first dog, I would recomend a Labrador.

These dogs are eager to please and so are easier to train.

They are good at flushing and retrieving so make a good all round gun dog.

Spaniels of all types can be tricky, and are better suited to an experienced trainer.

The better the working pedigree, the easier the dog will be to train to the gun. This said, you don't need a string of FTCH's in the family tree, just make sure it's parents are of good working stock.

Lots of game keepers breed good dogs with no papers which are super, no frills working dogs and will be a lot cheaper than a "posh dog."

Good luck in your serch.