the best dog for me?

hi been thinking about getting a dog for a while now dont genrally rush in to things

i have always been told to get a beddy x whippet

most of my permissions are small grass fields and hills

and just want a rabbiting dog for ferreting,and a look around during the evening.

what do you pro's think?

sorry if i missed out any vital details that needed mentioning

ive got a ;lurcher but when i bought it they told me the mother was a collie greyhound and they didnt know what the farther was... there is definetly whippet in my bitch... shes 20 " and is a cracking day dog... deffinetly get something small.. maybe even a pure whippet

jo xxx

Edited by jolong

alright spring field i know your looking at this thread how are you buddy?.

that makes sense hpool but i know this may sound stupid but is there any advantage or disadvantage with a bitch or a dog?

i dont want to breed them or anything?

whats the adavantages of haveing a beddy in the mix then ?

i heard pure whippets have to retire earlyer than other dogs i.e whippets ect is this true?

it's just what think but the beddy's are good for edges and bramble the one's ive seen just plough staght it to aney edge

in my little humble opinion - you can get a 20" beddy whippet, which will ferret for fun all day, and take a few by night...... a 26" saluki grey whippet will do the same job & more WHEN you get more intrested in other quarry.

as i say, just my opinion, but hey, im prejudice :D i like my dogs standing at about 26" with a good deal of power ;)

edited to add - i have seen in action a beddy whippet great ferreter, good on the lamp, fox & roe pre ban, but she wouldnt do it all night ;)

Edited by Rabbithunter

get a bedlington/whippet/greyhound fast as fek good in small fields and open fields, can catch rabbits,hares (pre-ban),foxes(pre-ban)and deer (pre-ban). a good all runder ide say and most people wi say same.

DSC00604.jpg

bibnhare.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest lurcherboy2008
post-16068-1210193183.jpgheres a pic of jolongs jet, excellent day bitch ill iv her that if i was him id put a 1/2 1/2 beddy wippet on her then i think theylle make the pups yor lookin for mate, atb with getting the right pup lets see the psot when u do get 1 :clapper:

post-16068-1210193098.jpg

Guest lurcherboy2008
post-16068-1210193183.jpgheres a pic of jolongs jet, excellent day bitch ill iv her that if i was him id put a 1/2 1/2 beddy wippet on her then i think theylle make the pups yor lookin for mate, atb with getting the right pup lets see the psot when u do get 1 :clapper:
whats the adavantages of haveing a beddy in the mix then ?

i heard pure whippets have to retire earlyer than other dogs i.e whippets ect is this true?

abit of fire :victory:

this 3/4 bred whippet 1/4 bedlington was only 18'' to shoulder , but was the best bitch ive owned , she was game as hell , the little white dog in the middle, hard as nails she was :victory:

lurcher.jpg

that one on your left is an absoulte double for my bitch is there wheaten in her