The Cornish Lurcher Championships 2008

The 10th Annual Cornish Lurcher Championships and The Endurance Challenge are being held at The lurcher Showground on the 16th and 17th of August 2008.

This year The Endurance Challenge is the focus for the whole of Saturday, And now with Prize Money!

There will be a cap on the gate, a £10 entry fee per dog that will automatically enter your Lurcher into all five of our working events where they will be judged on a point system, each Lurcher will receive one point for entering an event and will be given a further point for each round that they are successful in. After each event the scores will be added together and displayed for owners and spectators to track the dogs progression. Then at the end of the day the points will be accumulated and a total will be reached so we will be able to announce the most successful all-round Working Lurcher.

There will be a cash prize of £80 for the Winner,£40 for Reserve, and third will recieve £20,

We will also be presenting Personalised Certificates as keepsakes of the day along with Rossettes to the top six place winners .

events in order:

Simulated Coursing

Hurdles

Triple Jump

Long Jump

Straight Racing

This exciting open event gives all Lurchers a day to recover from their journey, get used to our grounds, and to prepare for the Championships the next day.

After the Competition has ended all entrants are invited to join us that evening for a free barbeque with mulled wine on site to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Cornish Lurcher Championships.

Sunday - The Cornish Lurcher Championships

14 'Best in Cornwall' Titles to be won

in order:

Simulated Coursing

Hurdles

Showing

Best Brace

Best Veteran

Best Working Condition

Best Rescued/Re-homed

Best Child Handler

Best Puppy

Triple Jump

Long Jump

Under 23 inch Straight Racing

23 inch and Over Straight Racing

Puppy Straight Racing

Trophies to Champions, Reserves and extra class champions

Keeping in mind how expensive going to shows can be, we are happy to say that we are able to hold our prices once again this year so Sundays gate entry is just £2-50 per person (with the usual concessions of £1 for children and OAPs) all of Sunday’s classes are £1-50 per entry and on site Camping is available and is still only £3-00 for a pitch per night (please confirm). We hope that this all makes for a brilliantly action packed yet affordable weekend and one not to be missed.

Signposted on the A394 Falmouth to Helston road, Cornwall.

For any further information click on my signature for our website

or call Linda and Keith on 01326 340438

Good luck one and all!

i see there is nothing there to test the true working lurcher then !!!! no basic obedience, no hunting up task, no retrieving over obstacles etc etc .... as far as i can see its all about racing and jumping ............

Guest markbrick1
i see there is nothing there to test the true working lurcher then !!!! no basic obedience, no hunting up task, no retrieving over obstacles etc etc .... as far as i can see its all about racing and jumping ............
no i suppose youre right :wallbash::wallbash: but i suppose its more aimed and stamina speed and fitness,but a working lurcher should have all these,mark
no i suppose youre right :wallbash::wallbash: but i suppose its more aimed and stamina speed and fitness,but a working lurcher should have all these,mark

mark i see where you are coming from ... but where is the stamina involved in this comp ??? lets take the long jump as one example ... lets say that from the time you leave your dog go to the time it completes the jump the whole exercise last what 5 seconds? ... so now lets say 20 dogs are in the comp its going to be a good 10 to 15 minuets before your dog will be required to jump again ... so the dog is working for 5 seconds out of 15 minuets ... hardly taxing for even a pet dog really ... and the same can be said for all the other events .... all in all the full day would mean that the dog has probably worked for an hour at the most ... i cant see where the endurance challenge comes in ??? .... it does like a good day out if you enjoy that sort of thing and i hope it is a great success ............

Guest markbrick1

couldnt agree more,but these competions are full of whippet greyhounds and when it comes to endurance they dont have it,there speed merchants that start to buckle after the 2nd hurdle,it would nice to see a few good working dogs at this event its held by nice people who do there best to promote lurchers,also when the final 3 are 4 are in the long jump theres proberly 3 minutes in between jumps,but beleave me this endurance really does test some dogs and dogs that people think are fit fall at the waiste side,mark

if people turn up these shows with what they class as working dogs and the start to falter AT ANY TIME then they should pass them on as pets because if they cant handle that amount of work then they wil be of little use in the field ........

Guest markbrick1
if people turn up these shows with what they class as working dogs and the start to falter AT ANY TIME then they should pass them on as pets because if they cant handle that amount of work then they wil be of little use in the field ........

socks i have been out with all sorts of people and there dogs over the yrs,in away i agree with you but what one person calls a working dog another doesnt,as you know i think mine are good and there definatly fit but beleave me there is a lot of dogs that wouldnt keep with them on the bunies,also all this obediance?????????mine wont sit are lie down but they work to funy hand signals and work with me in the field 100% :thumbs: but this is as close as you get to a working event as you could get at shows,it makes a change me partly agree in with you :laugh::laugh::laugh: mark

• 4 months later...

Just a couple of pic's of this years Sunday's Cornish Lurcher Championships Trophies.

2008Trophies1.jpg

At about twelve inches tall they should make quite a show!!

2008Trophies2.jpg

2008Trophies3.jpg

Heres hopeing for some Good weather :cheers:

Guest markbrick1

COME ON THIS IS A GOOD DAY RUN FOR LURCHERS,BELEAVE ME SOME OF YOU WHO THINK YOU HAVE FIT DOGS WILL BUCKLE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS ALL FUN AND THERES EVEN PRICE MONEY THIS YR BUT THATS MINE AS WELL :laugh::laugh: ,got to pay my entrance fee in to the lampin comp some way,mark

Hi Johnny,

For the Saturday Endurance Competition there is a fixed entry fee though you are free to enter or withdraw your Lurcher in as many events as you wish, Just remember more events = more points !!

the Sunday Championships events are stand alone and again you can enter as many of the events as you choose

Hope this helps :cheers:

Every year we try to have something a little different as our Special Raffle and this years is a mantle clock with a celtic running dog design

special%20raffle%202008.jpg

it's very heavy and we couldn't quite get a photo to do it justice but this will give you an idea of what its like :)

Edited by Drift