I'd be interested in this one too as I'm planning on another pup over the summer. Bitch or dog?

Also could do with some advice about training pup two. My whippet X beddy/grey dog is 14 months old and is doing fine despite my many mistakes and lack of experience. He has excellent recall and I can call him off anything that might get us in trouble. He's also whistle trained to down/stay at a distance and has an acceptable heel off the lead. I don't know any other lurcher owners so nearly all my training advice came from Dave Sleight's Purdey's Progress video.

Will the new pup learn from his slightly older companion or is there a risk of my current dog getting unsteady?

Should I separate them for training, eating, sleeping etc (they'll both be in the house - my dog has the run of the house until bedtime then he's crated and I expect I'll do the same with the new one).

Also with a new pup what's the usual procedure with getting them to settle at night when there's another dog in the house? I'd imagine snuggling up to another dog would be comforting for a new pup (assuming my dog's OK with that). My current dog was 7 weeks when we got him and he slept with me for the first couple of nights as I couldn't bear his crying. I then crated him but slept on the floor next to him in a sleeping bag and over a week just moved further away until I reached my own bed. He very quickly settled after that and has zero anxiety issues if he's left alone for a few hours.

Apologies if I come across as a total amateur but that's about the sum of it! I'd like to get it as right as possible with my second dog (some sort of whippet/collie combination).

cheers

I'd be interested in this one too as I'm planning on another pup over the summer. Bitch or dog?

Also could do with some advice about training pup two. My whippet X beddy/grey dog is 14 months old and is doing fine despite my many mistakes and lack of experience. He has excellent recall and I can call him off anything that might get us in trouble. He's also whistle trained to down/stay at a distance and has an acceptable heel off the lead. I don't know any other lurcher owners so nearly all my training advice came from Dave Sleight's Purdey's Progress video.

Will the new pup learn from his slightly older companion or is there a risk of my current dog getting unsteady?

Should I separate them for training, eating, sleeping etc (they'll both be in the house - my dog has the run of the house until bedtime then he's crated and I expect I'll do the same with the new one).

Also with a new pup what's the usual procedure with getting them to settle at night when there's another dog in the house? I'd imagine snuggling up to another dog would be comforting for a new pup (assuming my dog's OK with that). My current dog was 7 weeks when we got him and he slept with me for the first couple of nights as I couldn't bear his crying. I then crated him but slept on the floor next to him in a sleeping bag and over a week just moved further away until I reached my own bed. He very quickly settled after that and has zero anxiety issues if he's left alone for a few hours.

Apologies if I come across as a total amateur but that's about the sum of it! I'd like to get it as right as possible with my second dog (some sort of whippet/collie combination).

cheers

We have had big issues training our whippet - he was brilliant as a young pup but went completely off once he hit about 7 months. After lots of hard work he is now fantastic at recall, heeling etc. He has no issues being in the house alone but has just come back from three nights in kennels where he was completely miserable - he lost his voice through whining! I am hoping that adding another dog will help with this - or could I be asking for double trouble! Having crated him for the first six months he now sleeps quite happily in the kitchen - should I crate pup 2 or just leave him/ her to settle with number 1? Any advice welcome.

Just wanted to know if anyone has 2 whippets who live together. As a whippet newcomer I currently have 1, 10month old mike brown whippet dog. Am getting another in july- should I choose a bitch or dog and does dog one need the snip?

I keep my whippet and lurcher together outside all the time - and my border is with them in the day as well. They all get on fine. The whippet is 8mth and the lurcher 11 month. They dont fight over their food the only problem with training two dogs is that the older one used to bring the quarry back to hand but if the younger one is on the lead she wont - but i dont see that as much of a problem.

I think that the younger one is learning from the older one as well.

I have two whippet pups that live together indoors, one is a nearly 10 month old bitch and the other a 6 month old dog, they get on great together, the play fight as all pups do but never anything more than that, they also get on great with my Staff bitch who lives indoors, we never have any problems with agression they even get on well with the outdoor lurchers and deerhound.

Good luck with your new pup

Edited by countrylass

We have had big issues training our whippet - he was brilliant as a young pup but went completely off once he hit about 7 months. After lots of hard work he is now fantastic at recall, heeling etc. He has no issues being in the house alone but has just come back from three nights in kennels where he was completely miserable - he lost his voice through whining! I am hoping that adding another dog will help with this - or could I be asking for double trouble! Having crated him for the first six months he now sleeps quite happily in the kitchen - should I crate pup 2 or just leave him/ her to settle with number 1? Any advice welcome.

He sounds like a normal whippet dog a 7 month old dog is very like a teenage boy they think they are a man but its all in their mind the soon settle down bitches on the other hand are IMO much easier to get along with :thumbs:

Whippets love company from other whippets :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...