hoodie & ravens

hi, bit of advice please. i have a problem with hoodies and ravens killing new born lambs. the ravens are the main offenders! i dont want to waste time making a trap if a raven wont go into one. someone told me that a raven will never go into a trap. is this true? any views or ideas welcome. the good news is that i have just recieved a variation for a .223 so i can always try some long range shots now... my .22 aint got the legs.

p.s. just incase your wondering i have a licence from the dept' of agri to shoot or trap 3 ravens.

thanks tone

hi, bit of advice please. i have a problem with hoodies and ravens killing new born lambs. the ravens are the main offenders! i dont want to waste time making a trap if a raven wont go into one. someone told me that a raven will never go into a trap. is this true? any views or ideas welcome. the good news is that i have just recieved a variation for a .223 so i can always try some long range shots now... my .22 aint got the legs.

p.s. just incase your wondering i have a licence from the dept' of agri to shoot or trap 3 ravens.

thanks tone

This isn't a very constructive answer as I've never seen a hooded crow or a raven , but I had no idea that the killed lambs.

thanks tone

This isn't a very constructive answer as I've never seen a hooded crow or a raven , but I had no idea that the killed lambs.

hi netter. yup they are both killers of lambs. biggest problem is when a ewe has twins or tripplets. when the first lamb is just born and the ewe lies down to push lamb number 2 out then the raven is there ready to get to work on the first lamb peck the eyes, navel, anus and tongue out of the poor wee lamb. horrible death, i have had to destoy a few lambs that have no eyes or no tounge. i hate these birds. i have read that ravens are the most highly evolved and inteligent of all birds. i wonder if they are going to be intellegent enough to realise that it will be a .223 under my arm soon and not a 22?? ha ha. ill probably miss anyway

cheers tone

alimac, read my message again. WILDLIFE AND COUNTRYSIDE ACT 1981: LICENCE TO KILL RAVENS. issued in the pursuance of section 16(1)(k).

in laymans terms this allows me to shoot or trap 3 adult ravens. im a farmer and applied for this through the department of agriculture. i first of all have to prove that i have a raven problem, then the dept' of ag contact my local SNH office and they decide my bag limit.

i just came on here with a request for some help and i know that ravens are protected that is why i mentioned the fact that i have a licence to kill 3.

every days a school day!

cheers tone

Same type of problem here when the sheep and lambs where first put out the crows etc where eating a lot of the pellets out the sheep troughs ,we put a large letter box trap out baited it with sliced white bread and set it after a few days and thinned then out .A larson trap would only catch one or two at a time

Ravens and hooded crows can both be trapped if you have a call bird. We used to trap hoodies in a cage trap (about 8X6X4 feet) Similar to a ladder trap this used a funnel top entrance about 7 or 8 inches across. If you need to destroy a lamb or shoot a hare, then use it as bait as well as half a dozen chicken eggs made into a semi hidden nest. When you first bird is in don't kill it, use it as a decoy.

It works

H

Never heard of ravans about me until my mate caught one in a larsen trap with a magpie call bird,heard the magpies bottom of the ladder so they will try and dominate/kill the inferior bird,harden the magpie ,dose of his own medicine.

• 4 weeks later...

good way to get the ravens lie out with the shotgun on a star shape flat on ur back stay still, the ravens will come in and circle over you, let them get lower and lower and them spring up and shoot them, my grandad used to do this years ago before they were protected and it worked for him

Guest JohnGalway

Since you've got licence to shoot/trap only three ravens I would not waste time building a trap, use the .223 :yes: (Hornady caretidges through a Remington rifle work well for me against hoodies) I've often had ravens fly in to sites I had set up an ambush for hoodies. When I would shoot a hoodie the ravens would fly up and make a racket keeping everything else away :yes: If you've got lambs or a dead ewe about (I know you shouldn't really but this is the fastest way) leave it out somewhere obvious where you have some cover and snipe them off, any move you make will alert them so cover and cammo is needed, early morning to mid morning would probably be the best time.