My 8 month old suluki greyhound x bull greyhound has been off his food since Friday. Went down the kennel this morning and this is what confronted me in his kennel run when I opened the gate. He was feeling very sorry for himself curled up in his box, he had been vomiting and passing blood through the back end. Was straight on the phone to the vet, dog was down the vets within the hour. Vet had a feel around to see if there was anything lodged in his throat or stomach, couldnt feel anything. He had a high temperature at 104 c, they are keeping the dog in overnight to rehydrate him and antibiotics and something to stop him vomiting. They are doing blood test, still waiting for a phone call to see if they found anything. If he is still the same tomorrow, they will do x-rays first thing in the morning. I have got all fingers and toes crossed that he will be ok. Then I will have to be admitted to A&E after I recieve the bill.

post-3876-1206892156_thumb.jpg

post-3876-1206892170.jpg

post-3876-1206892184_thumb.jpg

post-3876-1206892202_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for everyones comments.

Just to keep you up to date, dog is still in vets on IV drip and antibiotics.

The vet seems to think it is haemorrhagic gastroenteritis, as the vet has checked

everything else, and they have come back inconclusive.

His WBC is low and his kidney parameters are high, and with his high temperature

it suggests a bacterial stomach infection. If he had a low temperature it would suggest a

viral infection.

Still got my fingers crossed, not out of the woods yet, but he is showing a slight improvement.

The vet is waiting for the diarrhoea to stop and then he will try him on some bland foods.

I think he will be in a day or two. I will keep you up to date.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and concern.

SNAP... my collie/greyhound pup has the same problem.Been to the vets and he gave me a paste to try and bind his poo.Just took him back and he;s being kept in on a drip...Im gutted. fingers crossed.good luck with your dog.

I hope your dog gets better soon as well mate.

hope he's ok for you soon fingers crossed it aint PARVO..

Vet thinks its highly unlikely to be parvo, as he is up to date with all his vacinations

and the diarrhoea and vomiting did not have the distinctive smell that is associated with parvo.

The vet explained that parvo doesnt actually kill a dog, its the dehydration and kidney failure through dehydration that is responsible for the dogs dealth.

The vet seems to think it is haemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and the success rate is all according to how quick you can get the dog rehydrated and dosed with antibiotics.

hopefully he is on the road to recovery, will have another update mid morning tomorrow from the vet.

Guest dog on
hope he's ok for you soon fingers crossed it aint PARVO..

Vet thinks its highly unlikely to be parvo, as he is up to date with all his vacinations

and the diarrhoea and vomiting did not have the distinctive smell that is associated with parvo.

The vet explained that parvo doesnt actually kill a dog, its the dehydration and kidney failure through dehydration that is responsible for the dogs dealth.

The vet seems to think it is haemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and the success rate is all according to how quick you can get the dog rehydrated and dosed with antibiotics.

hopefully he is on the road to recovery, will have another update mid morning tomorrow from the vet.

had a dog with the same thing he ate some meat he found it was rotten \\out come was not good //hope yours recovers