First day pigeon shooting

Went out this morning at 9 pigeon shooting. Had to go then as i took kids to school and had to finish at 2 to pick them up, anyway,

I set out 12 shell decoys and 1 full bodied decoy in a field next to where i had seen loads of pigeons ( that field wasnt my permission) but its windy, very windy. I had a couple of shots and missed at 2 that flew over, but it was quiet. A while later a flock flew past, hesitated at my deeks and flew on- problem? this happened twice. The ones and twos would come in but the flocks wouldnt, why?

I brought the deeks in closer to me as i was missing them ( 30-40 yards) and shot one, missed a few more, but the wind was getting terrible and nothing was flying.

The highlight of my morning was a sparrowhawk that decided to try to take my full bodied deek away for lunch! id seen it on photos but it was great to see first hand.

BUT, if i fooled the ones and twos AND a sparrowhawk, why didnt the flocks want to know?? i was well hidden (i think) so thats not it.

Does this make sense to someone?

No i didnt to be honest. I was in/under a holly bush with top camo stuff on and a wide brimmed camo hat. i dont think they would have seen my face as it was pretty well covered and it wasnt as if i was constantly peering up, just looking straight ahead with the brim down.

Just wondering, what size shot do you kids use?

Its one of the problems wth flocks of birds comming in, maybe follow the leader principle if he don't wanna come in none do or the many eyes spot the dec's as plastic or just dead real birds, or maybe just passing by and noseing, it happens to all of us at some time or other no matter what gizmos you use or how well your placement and fieldcraft. As the flocks break up as the warmer weather approaches the decoying will become a little easier but look and learn from the birds themselves as they feed and how they flight and couple that with fieldcraft and tips from many of the guys on here and it will bring its own rewards .

Most of all enjoy it and be safe .

Its one of the problems wth flocks of birds comming in, maybe follow the leader principle if he don't wanna come in none do or the many eyes spot the dec's as plastic or just dead real birds, or maybe just passing by and noseing, it happens to all of us at some time or other no matter what gizmos you use or how well your placement and fieldcraft. As the flocks break up as the warmer weather approaches the decoying will become a little easier but look and learn from the birds themselves as they feed and how they flight and couple that with fieldcraft and tips from many of the guys on here and it will bring its own rewards .

Most of all enjoy it and be safe .

Cheers denny. I learned loads today and it was my first outing. Like you say, once the birds start pairing off i will do better. I think i would have had a few today was it not for the heavy winds.