British traps for mammals

Just sent off for a copy of this new book by John Bailey, lists over 500 traps covers everything, from detailed descriptions, dates of manafacture, the law,etc etc.

ISBN 978-0-9555744-0-5

£19.25 (INC P+P) FROM FIELDFARE PUBLISHING, FIELDFARE HOUSE, OLD MALTHOUSE LANE, FORD, SALISBURY, SP4 6DR.

Tel-01980-610139

I have nothing to do with it, in fact i did not even know it was coming out until i opened keeping the balance magazine this morning.

Regards MT.

I have a copy :boogie:

It's quite as a good 'spotters guide' - loads of small individual drawings (but big enough) with a short description and history for each. I did intend to write a proper review but somehow never got round to it.

I believe he's working on a bird traps one next

here's his web site http://www.johnbaileytraps.co.uk/Trap_book.htm

:blink: From a hardened trap collector's view the book is nothing more than a poor comic I'm afraid :thumbdown:

Bailey's line drawings are quite nice but I happen to know that the 'wealth of knowledge' of mouse and rat traps is not his own, and as for the rest of it - it is so flawed throughout with inaccuracies and untruths it is pretty worthless in my opinion.

OTC

Well you asked for an opinion M T and that is mine!! :big_boss:

You see - I know a thing or two about traps, and a little about books and as a 'book on traps' it falls well short of the mark . . . and is misleading to say the least with all of its innaccuracies

Ditch has his own view of this 'wise trap afficienado' too - I'm sure he'd be more than too willing to share it with us in his own inimitable style presently . . .

OTC

Do you both think it's really that bad ?

I'm not as well up on the history side so I can't comment on the accuracy and I know that there are more in depth books than this. And ofcourse there is original source material if you're lucky enough to get it. So granted this book probably doesn't add much to those who know.

But even so I thought this was a quite a good 'primer' in traps - clear diagrams, short bit of info on each and pretty good volume of traps covered.

Yes it's a bit like a catalogue but ideal for the beginner and the 'whats this I've found' brigade.

Don't you think so ? Or are the mistakes too significant ? :hmm:

Yes it's a bit like a catalogue but ideal for the beginner and the 'whats this I've found' brigade.

Don't you think so ? Or are the mistakes too significant ? :hmm:

Just about anyone could fill a book with pictures of old and unusual traps John but if the scant details and associated names are incorrect then what is the point?? Surely this would just compound the problem, leaving the 'what's this I found' finder with the wrong name ringing in his ears?

There are so many fundamental errors in the book that it barely passes the 'this is a gin trap' stage.

There is no substitute for proper and accurate research IMO and this book has little to offer that has not been published elsewhere before.

Even Bateman's photo booklets with the Bird and Rabbit Traps illustrated are of more use to the layman but there are a few minor errors in those too.

OTC

If you want to learn about old traps it is no use being misinformed, it is worth a flick through, as long as you don't take it all as Gospel. In my opinion until a better one is written, the best book on the subject by a long way is Rural Reflections, especially the new edition, I'm new to the forum, and maybe this has been said before, but that is my opinion.

well if it's that wrong then I have to agree with you. That's a real shame because format wise I think it could be really useful as I said.

I have a copy of RR too which is an excellent book - I just liked the catalogue feel of the other one. :(

Come on OTC put a proper one together :thumbs: