Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to the forum,

I have a wonderful dog (Syd) who is 1/2 scottish deehound and !/2 collie cross greyhound (pic eventually)

He is now 14 months old and still whole.

Unfortunatley he had an argument with some barbed wire recently it had to be stiched now just over a week ago.

(and antibiotics). His scar is 2/3 inches long.

A freind of mine's bitch has come into heat and we were intending to put them together.

Syd spent about an hour with the bitch today (they got on well), but the vet said that he shouldn't be off the lead or jump around for 10 days, and he certainly was quite enthusiastic He was just in a garden but having not been off the lead for more than a week he was a bit boisterous.

I am worried that the exercise might pull open the wound again, I will leave it for a couple of days anyway, it looks OK now but seemed to be a bit sensitive for a while because I noticed him licking it which he han't been before, he's stopped again now.

Does anyone have any advice?

Should I just leave it this time? to be on the safe side?

It does seem to be healing well, but I can't afford more vet's bills (well I would, but I don't want to)

What should I look for?

Strangley in many years of having dogs (though not long dogs) I have never had to deal with a flesh wound like this.

Thanks

Carrie

One thing about putting him to a bitch now, is that he hasnt proved himeslf as a worker, but, against that argument, there have been loads of dogs that have proved themselves in the field of work, or the show ring, that threw duds. Also, how many bull terriers and collies have killed 100 hares or 1000 rabbits, and these get constantly used for breeding lurchers.

I have mainly kept bitches, but also the occaisional male, I get these into stud work as soon as I can..Lurchers a year, and my youngest ever male deerhound was lining bitches at 15 month..he proved himself as a worker after proving is ability as a stud..I was however working to breeding plans, in these cases you just cant wait till their older, you need pups to assess whether you are working to the right lines or not. The main thing you want for a dog that age is a 'slut' a bitch who has had pups before, or one that is going to stand well for him. Maiden bitches can either make or break a young dog into stud work..

Its your dog, its up to you what you do with it..If you want to mate it, mate it, make sure the bitch is on her right day and you have a good supply of vaseline.

2-3 inches is just a knick, Ive stitched dogs where Ive put 26 stitches in..but, as its already been said, give it time..10 days to knit together is usual for a flap type of tear, and with the dogs breeding, it should have skin as touch as old boots, and a cell pack volume that makes for quick healing. Bath it daily with a strong solution of Epson salts, or if you can get it, spray it with teramicine spray (the purple stuff)

On the subject off cuts on dogs i am always amazed at how fast they heal , my bitch did this at the start of the year .

06012008040.jpg

two days later

07012008049.jpg

today

29022008068.jpg

she was catching again within a month of the two days later pic , dogs have a unbelievable constitution .

Edited by boris b