Just to correct you,

the diesel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil,

unless my 18 years of turning spanners has been wrong :unsure:

Actually to correct you it was designed to run on powdered coal.

When I said it was doing what came naturally I meant running on oil. Check out my second response in this thread where I state (and has been pointed out in the reply after yours) that peanut oil is the preferred oil of use but as it's expensive and not too readily available in the UK rapeseed, or veggie oil is the next best and closest match to viscosity available. :thumbs:

The whole point of the diesel was for it to run on many fuels as it was to be used in parts of the world where fuel as we may know it was unavailable. Places like 3rd world countries etc. At the end of the day the whole thing about cars not running on oil without expensive conversions is propaganda BS. The government scaring us into paying fuel taxes for a fuel we don't need. Isn't diesel a by product of petrol refinement? So basically were buying waste at top dollar prices.

You can also feel smug when the greenies point the finger at you for "killing the planet" in your 4x4's. Your not as there is virtually no carbon emission from oil use, the only carbon emission is what the plants used to produce the oil originally taken from the environment in photosynthesis. If your using part diesel of course you will still have that element but overall your using less (up to 50% or more) so your footprint is greatly reduced.

Askiro your bang on mate the Germans especially Merc and BMW have been geared up to using oil and effectively prepping their cars for some time. In Germany oil use as fuel is a big thing and many people use 100% or have conversions. Rudolph was a German after all so there obviously proud of his invention.

Edited by Devon

i looked into running on oil and seems to be o.k except in extreme cold weather as mentioned, as the oil thickens and causes the fuel pump to work harder, but apparently mercs and BMW's work fine on oil as the fuel filter and pump is designed for it.

i just invested in an LPG van and its the Mutts Nuts.

The pumps on German diesels are stronger, to deal with the fuel being thicker due to the cold, during the harsh Bavarian winters. Or so I was led to believe. :thumbs:

I think it's to do with the fact that most of the large German manufacturers use the better performing Bosch pumps.

Allegedly some of the French cars using oil have problems due to inferior pumps. Then again there are some driving French who have no bother at all. The HDi's are not supposed to be too good on the old veggie from what I've read.

Powdered coal eh?

Now that's interesting, I presume you must have googled that & seen that Hornby actually built the diesel engine in 1891 before Rudolph.

Must be a nightmare on a service lapping those valves in!

Naturally because you are right I'll have to now go back & retrain as a coal powered mechanic!

Regarding the use of varying fuel pumps, it's not a difference between manufacturers - most now use Bosch pumps, some with mechanical boost, some electronic.

From what I can remember from the extraction process, diesel is actually produced as a by product before petrol is made, as the learned gent above stated, the gov is scaring us.

If anyone remembers the cheap washer jet heater system that you could get as an add on (the hot wire wrapped round the washer pipe), you could setup a similar system to run as a heater for your fuel. There's a chap in Germany who has run his old merc for years using a Pug filter with wrap around heating - the bonus of the pug filter is that the coolant also passes through it, filter head that is.

HDI'S don't like it as it clogs injectors - have heard of many engines getting goosed because of it.

Also had a pug 306 that was fine on it.

Powdered coal eh?

Now that's interesting, I presume you must have googled that & seen that Hornby actually built the diesel engine in 1891 before Rudolph.

Must be a nightmare on a service lapping those valves in!

Naturally because you are right I'll have to now go back & retrain as a coal powered mechanic!

Regarding the use of varying fuel pumps, it's not a difference between manufacturers - most now use Bosch pumps, some with mechanical boost, some electronic.

From what I can remember from the extraction process, diesel is actually produced as a by product before petrol is made, as the learned gent above stated, the gov is scaring us.

If anyone remembers the cheap washer jet heater system that you could get as an add on (the hot wire wrapped round the washer pipe), you could setup a similar system to run as a heater for your fuel. There's a chap in Germany who has run his old merc for years using a Pug filter with wrap around heating - the bonus of the pug filter is that the coolant also passes through it, filter head that is.

HDI'S don't like it as it clogs injectors - have heard of many engines getting goosed because of it.

Also had a pug 306 that was fine on it.

Now now, play nice. :thumbs:

I thought I recalled info on Pug HDi's not liking veg oil. Some Renaults also have issues if I recall correctly?

The point I was trying to make about diesel and was unsure of, and you've kind of answered (hence my question mark) was around we/you (I no longer have the diesel van) pay more for diesel than petrol and yet it is a product of petrol refinement. So effectively were paying twice for the same thing and the old government are quids in.

I remember reading some info from the AA or whoever around the fact you could "blow up" your engine using oil. I reckon combustion is beyond veggie oil though. Again this info was tagged onto some government scare mongery around the use of food stuff as fuel.

Look to draw to a close my involvement in this I used oil as fuel, it worked. I recomended it to mates, they tried it, it worked. If your going to use it do some homework. There are numerous sites with info on engine types and there suitability etc. Don't be stupid with your quantities and you'll be fine.

BUT at the end of the day if you choose to drop food into your fuel tank you do so at your own risk.

Happy cheap motoring and thanks DDD for answering my question on the refinement issue. :thumbs: