3in Mag cartridges

I shoot a Beretta AL391 Teknys semi-auto which is chambered for 3inch Magnum, however any 3in Magnum cartridges that I have tried wont clear the ejection port cleanly and this creates a stoppage. Has anyone else found this? Can anyone suggest a cartridge whose empty shell doesnt lengthen considerably after firing, as this appears to be the cause of the problem?

Cheers,

TT. :hmm:

i have found this on a few autos i have tried in the past which i used for foxing so 3" BB's were the order of the day. not all the time but it certainly happened more than i wanted especially when you wanted a quick second shot on a fox. the best i have tried was a franchi harrier which has a piston which can be changed over to fire light game shells or heavy magnums, this didnt have the problem when i tried it, it was a friend if mine's who lamps with me so we swapped for the night and it fired all three magnums in one go at one point. the problem is that all fired 3" shells are exactly the same length so there is no short 3" cartridge. does the beretta have a changeable piston as franchi are owned by beretta so it may have, worth having a look. is the gun new by any chance as some autos take a little while to 'run in' before they run smoothly, my Benelli Super Sport is just about running smoothly now after about 300 2 3/4" competition loads.

hope this helps

ss06

i have found this on a few autos i have tried in the past which i used for foxing so 3" BB's were the order of the day. not all the time but it certainly happened more than i wanted especially when you wanted a quick second shot on a fox. the best i have tried was a franchi harrier which has a piston which can be changed over to fire light game shells or heavy magnums, this didnt have the problem when i tried it, it was a friend if mine's who lamps with me so we swapped for the night and it fired all three magnums in one go at one point. the problem is that all fired 3" shells are exactly the same length so there is no short 3" cartridge. does the beretta have a changeable piston as franchi are owned by beretta so it may have, worth having a look. is the gun new by any chance as some autos take a little while to 'run in' before they run smoothly, my Benelli Super Sport is just about running smoothly now after about 300 2 3/4" competition loads.

hope this helps

ss06

The problem is the length of the shell, not the gas system. Its only crimped cartridges that I have tried and Im wondering if 'rolled over' cartridges (if thats the right term), would work better? Peashooter is on the money as 31/2 chambered guns ejection ports are much bigger, I just fail to believe Beretta would manufacture a 3in chambered semi auto if you cant get 3in shells that it will comfortably cycle. :hmm:

Cheers

TT.

I shoot with a lad who had the same problem with his beretta and it always stuck a would not eject the first shot, but it was simply down to ammo he was using, i would suggest you try a few remmington 3" mags as his gun cycled perfect with these.....i can't remember the brand he was firing but they were slightly longer than the remmington's when opened. :thumbs:

I have used some Remmy 50gm 3" cartridges in US no. 2 shot and now you come to mention it Snap Shot they didnt give me any trouble whereas 3" express BB wouldnt cycle the second round. they are damn good shells too, looking back at my diaries out of the two boxes of ten i had i dropped 17 foxes to the first shot using full choke. but they are so hard to find i had to revert to express 53 gm BB.

if you can get hold of em tenkystoddy try them they wont disappoint, but buy as many as you can as they may not be there next week.

hope this helps

ss06

:thumbs:

There's news on the Lyvale Express 3" ers .

Apparently they've had a lot of complaints about the 53grm cartridge not re-cycling in many semi autos and as a consequence I believe they have now stopped making them . Instead they are doing a 50grm'er with crimp closure instead of the rolled on the 53grm . I'm not sure if the 47grm alternative has fallen by the waistside or not , maybe it has now as this new one covers all bases so to speak .

Funny you guys can't get the remmington's as they and a few other cartridges are all my local gunny will supply?

There should be no problem in getting them. :thumbs:

i bought one box of ten from one place and shot those within about 6 weeks and had to wait until about two months later when i walked into a different gunshop from the original and they had one box left. so i had them. that was 18 months ago and i aint seen any, anywhere since. shame because they were a good shell and they worked in the auto. packed a hell of a punch too i remember trying one before i tried them on foxes. shot a crow while pigeon shooting, he must have been 60 yards up and was in a hell of a mess when he landed!

thanks

ss06

I tried to get the Remmys locally, no one has them, but I got Express 46gm mags crimp closed, which are about 5mm shorter than the 53 gm bbs which are rolled closed. These are cycling perfectly, happy days. When I can get a pic of a fox Ive used them on, I'll post it up. I'll keep my eye out for those Remmys and the 50gm Express and try them too. Cheers for all the replies.

Yours in sport,

TT.:good:

no problem.

what shot size are those express 46gr? you could be waiting a while for the remmys or yo may just happen across them somewhere. good luck.

thanks

ss06

4s, not ideal but will do the job Im sure. They were the biggest in stock. Just glad to get some that cycle well.

Cheers,

TT.

4's will do just fine as long as youve got an accurate shot and a good tight choke. plus theres a lot of them in 46gr.

i have had a very lucky and slightly spooky day. i walked into my local gun shop to get some my shipment of clay carts, 10,000 of em. :no: and what was on the shelf behind the counter. 50gm remmy magnums in 2 shot!! just as before.

he had a case of 100 there/10 boxes and i bought the lot along with my clay carts so v. v. expensive day!

they work out at just under £1 a shot!

oh well , i like em and they do the job so i wont complain.

thanks

ss06

4's will do just fine as long as youve got an accurate shot and a good tight choke. plus theres a lot of them in 46gr.

i have had a very lucky and slightly spooky day. i walked into my local gun shop to get some my shipment of clay carts, 10,000 of em. :no: and what was on the shelf behind the counter. 50gm remmy magnums in 2 shot!! just as before.

he had a case of 100 there/10 boxes and i bought the lot along with my clay carts so v. v. expensive day!

they work out at just under £1 a shot!

oh well , i like em and they do the job so i wont complain.

thanks

ss06

Lucky is right, maybe we should start a thread about the winning lottery numbers. LOL. :clapper:

TT.