Post FEO visit - combination of rifles advice

Had my FEO visit today for the 223 variation (actually, they'd lost that one, he thought he was just here to approve me for a Sako Quad ;)) and he is happy with 223 and 243 for fox, 223 for small deer and 243 for bigger deer.

Looks like I can shoot small deer with no mentor or DSC, the 243 requires a mentor or DSC (they are sorting out which) for the deer, but is OK for fox.

So... my final requirements are:

* Rifle for target work at the range, not a particularly serious one, and not very long distance (Deker - your club - max of 400 yards sound fair?)

* Rifle for medium range foxing (223 range really - i.e. 250-300 tops)

* Rifle for deer

* Rifle for occasional long range fox (300+ yards)

* Minimum expense to do the job

* Relatively low ongoing expense (i.e. I like 223 at 18p a bang for foxes, 243/22-250 is expensive and not an everyday choice)

I can't reload because my house is too small for the stuff, and I haven't really got time.

I am thinking a heavy barrel rifle for the target work, and a lighter one for carrying with a lamp. So, with my other info taken on board, I am guessing the 223 will be the heavy barrel.

I am however open to suggestions - your calibres are 223 and 243, answers on a postcard please :)

is the 22/250 really that dear mate ? ive just put in for 22/250 and ive seen where i can get hornady 52 gr ammo for £13 pound for 20 yet some 223 ammo is £15 to £16 pound for 20 ? so what ammo are you using in the 22/250 ?

as i wont be using it that much it wont bother me to much about the price of the ammo really. but its nice to no what ammo people are using :thumbs:

My cheapest 22-250 ammo that works well is Federal 55gr softpoint at 15-17 per 20. Prvi Partizan is much cheaper but 3" groups at 100 yards meant I gave up! Still use it for initial zeroing though (I bought 100, still got some left!).

223 ammunition is a similar price for US factory, but many people swear by 55gr soft/hollow point Wolf and Barnaul, much of which is Russian stuff. To me, if it works and it stops a fox I'm happy. One day if I shoot targets more seriously I might need more expensive ammo, but that's what I like about 223 - there's such a choice without reloading.

243 I am happy to pay a fortune for, it ain't doing rabbits so a quid for a deer seems reasonable to me, as does a quid for a fox.

Edited by Mr_Logic
HIP HIP HORAY MRLOGIC

22.250 GREAT ROUND WHO CARES ABOUT A QUID A ROUND WELL WORTH IT IN MY VIEW

WHY GO FOR .223 WHEN YOU CAN HAVE THE 22.250 BEST FOX CALL FOR SURE

T3

I don't shoot enough foxes to warrant a calibre that ONLY does foxes. 22-250 is a great calibre and I love my rifle, but 243 does an even better job on foxes if you get the right combination (similar level of drop, better windage, more grunt) and 223 is cheaper. So between them they give me a lot more than just 22-250 on its own.

mrlogic

243 great for dear and fox duel purpose ,but as the poll shows on the forrum the 22.250 is the most prefered,

the trouble is that the 243 tends to throw the odd round off ,ive used both cals and the 22.250 is tops with out dowt

on charlie .and i goes for accuracy .the 22.250 i use sako 75 varmint will put bullet on bullet at 100yds in perfect conditions

with remi silver tips 50 grains.

not knocking the other cals ,i have a .222 as well and theres only a 10% down side difference to the .223 but the 22.250 is in a different league all together .

and i stick to my opinion that the 22.250 is the tops

t3