hello people, I need to know why my fox snares always seem to get wombles in them. (recently) The other night one must have been so big it wrenched a 2' steel peg out the ground after an obvious struggle i.e. flattened ground in a round shape as if a horse had been tethered, blood and soil scratch marks. And its not like I don't check them regular??

Only other explanation is that some bugger got to it and killed it before I could do something about it.

I would like to know of others experience and how to avoid if poss. ??? It was also regulation snare with a stop, but the animal, whatever it was bled somewhat still. I could not find any hair to Identify what it was? Mistery. But I can tell you it was big whatever, I hammered that peg in with a lump hammer!!! any replys with Thanks. cheers :icon_redface:

Check for any prints on the runs, hair around wire or brambles just too see if anything else is using the run. Set snares at the correct height, and they need a 4 inch stop to be legal, deer shouldnt be able to be caught in them then.

Regards

Aaron

Check for any prints on the runs, hair around wire or brambles just too see if anything else is using the run. Set snares at the correct height, and they need a 4 inch stop to be legal, deer shouldnt be able to be caught in them then.

Regards

Aaron

and remember to put a hazel bent over the to so the deer jump the wire they prefere to jump than push under.

yeah well said stork, it hard to say how to set a snare, it differs in diffrent situations, and there are as many ways of setting them as there is people setting them, everyone has there own method, everyone has days when they chek there snares and the target species isnt in it, just cut them free.

Yep mate it is hard to tell its a hell of a lot eaiser to show

I didn't think of deer now you come to mention it. But like I said, it had a stop at 4" so where I set it there is no way a deer could have got its head in there, its leg would have come out because of the stop. There was no hair or prints for me to identify, though it had a hare in it the other day, that just lost a bit of fluff, no more. I am finding that many species use the same runs!

Thanks very much for the input people, thanks :thumbs:

For all fox snares they have to have a stop too be legal, it does not have too be crimped. Good code of practice suggests to crimp at 4 inches.

Aaron,

:hmm: Could you please let me know where in UK law it states this so I can be sure. Codes of practice issued by BASC etc are just general advisories not law.

I would like to know the legality of using or not using stops on fox snares, or at least where you got this information from.

OTC

Edited by OldTrapCollector
For all fox snares they have to have a stop too be legal, it does not have too be crimped. Good code of practice suggests to crimp at 4 inches.

Aaron,

:hmm: Could you please let me know where in UK law it states this so I can be sure. Codes of practice issued by BASC etc are just general advisories not law.

I would like to know the legality of using or not using stops on fox snares, or at least where you got this information from.

OTC

The Defra code of practice on the use of snares in fox and rabbit control (October 2005) Free running snares must be used, and these must have a "permanent stop" fixed approximately 9" (23cm) from the eye of the snare.

This though is not a statutory code but is rather a document which lays down best practice. So therefore it is not a LEGAL requirement to fit a stop to a fox snare. Where the word "Must" is used only applies to compliance with the code of practice.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 the use of a "self-locking" snare is unlawful.

Rolfe.

It is

• 3 weeks later...

To release a billy from a snare ,cut a forked stick of good thickness and trim the forks back to about 7-8 inches .Point the ends of these and approach your billy .They usually try to curl up to protect the head but not always .Force the fork over its head ,beyond the wire and push the points in the ground .Hopefully you will have his attention now :boogie: .Cut the LOOP with wire cutters and wave him good bye .Learn by this and set the feckers higher :victory: .

To release a billy from a snare ,cut a forked stick of good thickness and trim the forks back to about 7-8 inches .Point the ends of these and approach your billy .They usually try to curl up to protect the head but not always .Force the fork over its head ,beyond the wire and push the points in the ground .Hopefully you will have his attention now :boogie: .Cut the LOOP with wire cutters and wave him good bye .Learn by this and set the feckers higher :victory: .

Or better still, use a Glen Waters breakaway snare, see thread in snaring section.