your lost ferrets

hi guys

just wondered if anyone had lost a ferret when working it and in what situation

ive lost one in three years ferreting not saying you shouldnt but ive a mk3 and dont use it

if your carfull and dont try any thing to big should be fine any more than 30 nets should have someone to help

just start small and get the feel of things

i lost one on sunday aft..... due to someone forgetting to bring the locator collars :whistling: we worked all day with no problem until the last warren which wasnt big but 5 mins after i put ferret down a young,hand sized bunny bolted out and straight back down without disturbing the net! :censored: i thought!(first young i've seen this season) half an hour later i was saying what i had been thinking! :censored::censored: gave it 3 hours and as it was now dark,decided she was ghone for good(holes were near vertical so couldnt block the ferret in)and went home. couldnt stop thinking bout it all next day at work so when i finished work at about 4 on monday i decided to get dogs and go for a walk around where we'd ferreted.i walked round the same warren squeaking and generally being noisy! lol. no joy so sat down to have a cig before giving and going home.anyway my cig nearly done i stood up to go,had one last glance about and caught a flash of white at a hole. there she was! lol. picked her up and walked home on air!!!ibeen ferreting for 16 yrs on and off and this is the only ferret i've ever 'lost'!guess i'm just lucky! even more so in this case!!!! :boogie:

never lost a ferret " touch wood ". i always free feed them & never starve them.

the longest ive had to wait before one of my ferrets showed was about an hour. when my ferrets stay down i always pick them up on the locator running around doing the biz, they then surface with blood on their face so i know they kill under but dont stay.

i also make it a habit to go out with a few live traps just incase i ever have to leave them there.

a young lad down the road lost one in november, i caught it in a cage trap on sunday.

amazing, i kept it because he was hopeless with it. i gave it a try today. after 4 mouths wild exprience its prity good.

Ferreting for 10 yrs no collars, lost 1 jill for 24hrs last year after a big day ferreting. Some have stayed down for a few hours but I just wait for them before going home, its usually just because they have got a rabbit but if you have used them alot that day they tend to have a little 'rest down there!!

a young lad down the road lost one in november, i caught it in a cage trap on sunday.

amazing, i kept it because he was hopeless with it. i gave it a try today. after 4 mouths wild exprience its prity good.

I have done that myself before rather than the ferret go back to its origonal place, i had a bloke knock our door with a very skinny ferret & a few hours later the phone rang and this woman was asking if i had taken an albino jill in , this was an albino jill , so i asked for description etc, the ferret was only 2 yrs old & it had only been missing a few hours , so i was quite shocked it was so skinny, its ribs were not covered by any meat , so i took it to the vets on the monday morning & they said it was healthy enough , just skinny, so it didnt go back there, within a few weeks it was getting a good covering of meat on it , poor thing was half starved , it bolted the food i gave it , but turned out to be a fine little thing & i had her about another 4 years :)

Before locators i put a jill in a single hole burrow after a hour theres no sign of here so dug down a couple of feet to a old stone drain opened it up and no sign of my ferret .I dug a round haf barrell sized hole and came away and left it then evey night for a week i checked it after work and there was no sign of her .I was just about giving up on her when on the eight day i went and there she was at the bottom of my hole i'd dug i reckon she was stuck behind a rabbit and had to eat her way through it to get out