getting the ok on a shot gun licence

right i have used shot guns in the past,and find bolting rabbits with ferrets to a gun a joy to do im goin to be honest,i have been thinking about applying for a licence but been a bit scared of the big bad fire arms officer that will come round rip my arms of and hit me with the soggy end, what would you guys suggest doing before applying that may give me that extra chance of getting the ok.and is it fairly straight forward,what are the stages you go through ,and i know you need to be a member of a shooting club but how long do you need to be a member of the club to apply

cheers mark

Edited by markieboi

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek: Mark, this obligation to be a club member's a new one on me, mate. Though, ok, it's been a little while since I last had anything to do with british applications. I Think they used to like ye to have 'somewhere to fire it'. I simply said I like to have a pop at the clays, at the seasonal country sports shows.

The visiting Firearms Officer - who was a perfectly relaxed and pleasent chap - had no problems with that what so ever.

Anyway, if the rules over there have changed in that direction, I'm sure someone here will soon put ye right. But certainly no reason to fear the FO. It's his job to help you, remember ;)

Oh, and being able to show him a decent and thoughtfully fitted cabinet, all there and ready for ye new purchase, would go a Long way 8)

the only things you need for a shot gun liecence is to be....fit and propper and have some ground to shoot on.....if you havnt got convitions for violence/drug dealing etc etc and your not a mentalist there shouldnt be to much hastle...the fire arms men are normally ok people..they arnt there to catch you out or intimidate.......get written permission on some ground fill in your form and away you go...well not quite you will probably be waiting months for a visit and then even longer for your liecence to come through...theres a load of bollox spoke about applications.....and if you arnt a criminal or a mentalist you could get a gun cabinate and fit it.then when the feo comes out he will inspect it there and then and you wont need a second visit......

the only things you need for a shot gun liecence is to be....fit and propper and have some ground to shoot on.....if you havnt got convitions for violence/drug dealing etc etc and your not a mentalist there shouldnt be to much hastle...the fire arms men are normally ok people..they arnt there to catch you out or intimidate.......get written permission on some ground fill in your form and away you go...well not quite you will probably be waiting months for a visit and then even longer for your liecence to come through...theres a load of bollox spoke about applications.....and if you arnt a criminal or a mentalist you could get a gun cabinate and fit it.then when the feo comes out he will inspect it there and then and you wont need a second visit......

FOR SGC

Colour part above is all you need, plus complying with age, storage, medical, legal requirements.

You do not need to be in a club.

You do not need land.

And for 1 Shotgun you do not need a cabinet, ground anchorage is allowed, although they will "expect" to see a cabinet (best not to dissapoint).

FAC is another story altogether!

Edited by Deker

shot gun cabinit bolted to an iut side wall i.e thicker than 1 coese of brick and use m10 bolts to hold it on the wall. thats what i did took mine two weeks to get to me no probs what so ever

FAC harder to get

Guest Ditch_Shitter
if he ask's what its for just let him know that i shoot rabbits and the odd pigioen when the farmers wants me too?

Christ, no! Don't say that! :icon_eek: Because he bloody well Will ask ye. Say that and he'll ask which farmers. Then he'll write their details down .....

cheers for the ifo every one will be sending me application off when i got the safe sorted,if he ask's what its for just let him know that i shoot rabbits and the odd pigioen when the farmers wants me too?

I would not suggest the above!

It doesn't matter on a SGC, there are no restrictions in principle, BUT, if he does ask why you want one, which he probably will, just say Clay Pigeon, once you have the grant you can use it for whatever you want (as long as it is legal). Once again let me say this is SGC NOT FAC, people seem to be getting the conditions a bit mixed up!

ATB

Deker