white hares?

Today i saw two white hares, one resembled a mountian or blue hare as it was a greyish white colour and the other was pure white. i live in south yorkshire (dinnington) and i thought that only the brown hare was present in these parts. i saw one in the day time and one tonight while out lamping (pure white one) and this one was sat with a normal coloured brown hare . Are these not brown hares or are they just a colour mutation? thanks Sambo123.

Edited by sambo123

Today i saw two white hares, one resembled a mountian or blue hare as it was a greyish white colour and the other was pure white. i live in south yorkshire (dinnington) and i thought that only the brown hare was present in these parts. i saw one in the day time and one tonight while out lamping (pure white one) and this one was sat with a normal coloured brown hare . Are these not brown hares or are they just a colour mutation? thanks Sambo123.
dont know the area but some where intouduced in sheffield there isnt that many but they are breeding .....without going into google and messing ...are you high up where you are ..moors and stuff..?????

i think you will have to show me where they are .... :D so i can have alook for myself ... :D:D:D

lol ye i get ya.its about a 45 min drive to the moors mate really unusual for around here no ones ever seen one apart from me and a few others and these sightings have been very recent. id have to have it stuffed if i should find it dead :whistling:

Very very very close to me Samba :whistling: :whistling: I think my old white bitch might have to come out of retirement 8)8) You werent out running yesterday were you samba with a fawn and white whippet and a black and white collie type ???

ATB TOMMY :thumbs: :thumbs:

very unusal to find whities off moor land or should i say a way off moor land they do go down to grass paddocks to feed ......the only close up pic that i have off one is this ....i have never heard of them mixing with brown hares though.....maybe someone more exsperenced on them might have an idea ....had a few this year up scotland ...heard about them in sheffield ......ideal for young max tommy :thumbs:car413.jpg

it would be a miilion to one chance to see two albino hares in the same area ......i doubt it ...hard to say :hmm: ....sambo...i think you will have to take me to that area ....never seen a albino hare ..if thats what they are ..i would love to phtograph them ... :D:D:D

it would be a miilion to one chance to see two albino hares in the same area ......i doubt it ...hard to say :hmm: ....sambo...i think you will have to take me to that area ....never seen a albino hare ..if thats what they are ..i would love to phtograph them ... :D:D:D

You f**k OFF i'll be there in the MORNING :victory: :victory:

You f**k OFF i'll be there in the MORNING :victory::victory:

that means the hares will still be there next week when i go down :clapper::clapper::clapper:
Very very very close to me Samba :whistling: :whistling: I think my old white bitch might have to come out of retirement 8)8) You werent out running yesterday were you samba with a fawn and white whippet and a black and white collie type ???

no mate i dont own any lurchers i went out with my mates dog tonight.i saw the first one while out with the terriers and couldnt belive it but to see a pure white one in the same day which was playing about with a normal coloured one is unbeliveable. my mates dad said he saw one in the field i saw it today a while back but i couldnt belive it until i saw it today.

i think i know who you mean with the fawn and white lurcher and the black and white collie type. he lives about 4 doors up from me . is the collie type heavey on the collie side? sambo

I have seen albino brown hares and white mountain hares and the main differences are the ears and eyes, the mountain hare always has smaller ears, with a more rounded shape to them, if its an albino brown hare it will have pink eyes and the normal longish ears that brown hares have. Due to the pure white coat it may look smaller than a normal brown hare making it hard to distinguish from a mountain hare. The best way to tell is to kill them and then examine them closely :D I have pics of an albino hare somewhere I will see if I can dig them out.

Here you go, this is the pic of the albino brown hare, you can just about make out the pinkish eyes in the pic, and as you can see it has the normal length ears, whereas if you look at snoops close up pic you will see the whitey has dark eyes and smaller, rounded ears.

AlbinoHare.jpg

White hares will travel a fair distance at night to come down into valleys and grassland to feed. One of the bits where I sometimes go shooting with the keeper, we see hares around his back garden, but during the daytime they are miles out onto the moor, Snoops knows the bit I am talking about and the distances involved. The hares must feed out on the heather and long grass during the day, then as night falls they come down off the hills in search of rich lush grass to vary their diet. If you saw them on the lamp theres a good chance they were whiteys that have travelled down off the moors, if there is moors nearby. But like I said the best way to find out is to kill them, preferably during the DAYTIME :whistling::laugh: and then post some pics and we should be able to tell what they are from those :victory: