10 hours ago, hambone said:

Am I missing something here or do you just need a load for a .17 Remington cos that's what you have?

It's a .17- 5.56 . 5.56 nato case necked down to .17

Basically this is a tweaked and budget friendly.17 cal centerfire for someone wanting to get into .17 centerfire now days. I'm Getting similar performance to a .17 rem but I can form my own brass from cheap and easy to find 5.56 brass ( free actually if you count all the buckets of range pick up brass  I have and the fact you can pick up as much as you need at most ranges for free). .17 rem and fire ball brass is....a pain to find the last few years and when you do it's an arm and a leg

The legacy .17's are great if you have a lot of extra cash , have a stock pile of brass ,or the honestly equally hard to find parent cases , have a rifle or have the money for a rifle ( looking at $800-$1200 for most and that's before you start looking into customs.

How ever if your like me and just want to play around ....well this is a nice option because I might have $500 I to the whole upper and just slapped it in an existing lower

7 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

It's a .17- 5.56 . 5.56 nato case necked down to .17

Basically this is a tweaked and budget friendly.17 cal centerfire for someone wanting to get into .17 centerfire now days. I'm Getting similar performance to a .17 rem but I can form my own brass from cheap and easy to find 5.56 brass ( free actually if you count all the buckets of range pick up brass  I have and the fact you can pick up as much as you need at most ranges for free). .17 rem and fire ball brass is....a pain to find the last few years and when you do it's an arm and a leg

The legacy .17's are great if you have a lot of extra cash , have a stock pile of brass ,or the honestly equally hard to find parent cases , have a rifle or have the money for a rifle ( looking at $800-$1200 for most and that's before you start looking into customs.

How ever if your like me and just want to play around ....well this is a nice option because I might have $500 I to the whole upper and just slapped it in an existing lower

I thought that a .17 Remington was a necked down .223 (which has the same dimensions as a 5.56). 

1 hour ago, hambone said:

I thought that a .17 Remington was a necked down .223 (which has the same dimensions as a 5.56). 

Yeah that's what I though but apparently it's necked down .222 I think , you can make .16 rem brass from .223 problem it's it will be a bit short and people kept saying I'd have this problem or that . Apparently there are some custom dies out there you can get that will let you but tryin to contact the company has been a pain .

With all that being said I just saw that starline  now has .222 brass in stock 108 for 250 PCs, which isn't bad but still I have so much 1x fired 5.56 already 

7 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Yeah that's what I though but apparently it's necked down .222 I think , you can make .16 rem brass from .223 problem it's it will be a bit short and people kept saying I'd have this problem or that . Apparently there are some custom dies out there you can get that will let you but tryin to contact the company has been a pain .

With all that being said I just saw that starline  now has .222 brass in stock 108 for 250 PCs, which isn't bad but still I have so much 1x fired 5.56 already 

Never heard the .222 connection before so I done a quick Wiki

The.17 Remington is based on the.223 Remington case necked down to.172 in (4.37 mm), with the shoulder moved back.
Designed: 1971
Designer: Remington
Place of origin: USA
Type: Hunting (varmint)
25 minutes ago, hambone said:

Never heard the .222 connection before so I done a quick Wiki

The.17 Remington is based on the.223 Remington case necked down to.172 in (4.37 mm), with the shoulder moved back.
Designed: 1971
Designer: Remington
Place of origin: USA
Type: Hunting (varmint)

And every thing I read from people who do it is it come up short. Some say it won't mess with anything others who have tried it more said yol end up with carbon donuts... egh sound like something that could lead to compounding problems down the road... That and KAK apparently has don't some stuff to alleviate to problems the .17 rem had 

Screenshot_20240116-114237.png.3aa14c89b51a23ddc234adacb51e652a.png

• Like 1