BSA Lightening?

I've just stripped a BSA for a friend.

It was totally gutless ,barely able to dent a bit of wood at a range of two inches.

I'm certain it's  a Lightning but it doesn't  have it written on it so l thought  l'd  check here before ordering a new spring and seal.

Both are done-for. Probably because the owner admitted she kept it loaded and cocked all the time!!!!

I always had the idea that the Lightening was just a cut down Supersport and it is very similar to the Supersport l once owned  except this thing is nowhere near the quality of the rifle l had. It looks and feels good but the insides are a bit tacky.20231123_213713.jpg.90ea05520f65040fcb2b7bfbd18e90cd.jpg20231123_154805.jpg.dcc49e3bc3bdf0a542741006fa8c1260.jpg20231123_202908.jpg.5faab94336d88439509b954a9c0a26c6.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ukhunter said:

it looks like a mk1 bsa lightning to me and as for spring  it doesn't matter if its a bsa supersport or a bsa lightning

as they both use the same spring :good:    Titan XS Mainspring No1 fits bsa lightning and bsa supersport

Thank you. I'm sure you are right👍  .

I  fitted a new spring and piston seal . I  polished and deburred everything , especially   the spring guide which was graunching  badly on both  the  old and new springs  . Then the  the four thick washers someone had added behind the piston head were replaced with something thinner and more slippery. After  which , according to the unscientific before and after test on a bit of wood it was working properly. Then l went to zero it and found the scope had already run out of adjustment!  An old set of mounting rings from the spares box sorted the problem.   Then the breech seal gave out🙀

I was startng to think the thing was possessed by demons but l guess  it has just suffered a hard life .

Either way once the new breach seal is fitted it's  going back to its  owner double quick before something else goes wrong😁

20231129_091937.jpg.9f409cd66f98f2d4235b6ae76dba670c.jpg

Edited by comanche