A "Fix Bayonet" moment

Apart from culling a fallow buck with wire round it's  antlers my last few outings had proved frustrating.

I had seen quite a few roe and fallow in a neighbour's field but whenever they ventured onto my permission it seemed that either, time , failing light or the wind was against me.

I s'pose l could've  tried an approach but decided to leave them undisturbed and unaware of my observation rather than educate them.

Yesterday I got it right ; l was in a position on a tree-lined  bank near a point where they were likely to appear and the wind was at last in my favour.    Three roe ,one a buck,  looked likely to cross the boundary onto "my bit" . I  don't  know if it is just me but at times like this l always have to stifle a cough or get beset by an itchy nose . Anyway l managed to stay still and silent and willed them onwards.

Then from further down the ditch the grumping of a fallow buck began. This was followed by the appearance of two does that jittered to within 20 yards of me before turning nervously back . Ever hopeful, l had the feeling the reason for their twitchyness  was  the approaching buck rather than my presence. 

The noise of the buck came closer ,and grew worryingly loud. Then l caught a glimpse of it through the trees about 30 feet away to my right . It's body was visible but its head was behind a trunk . Figuring it was safe to raise my rifle l  rested the fore-end on my knee and waited. Sure enough the buck came slowly onwards completely oblivious of my presence.  

It was a bit of a "fix bayonet moment" as was clearly going to pass me at about fifteen feet !   The scope was redundant at that distance but glancing along the side of the barrel was all that was required to put the bullet in the right place .    Not really a test of marksmanship but l did feel l had earned that buck after my previous fruitless outings.

20231019_174915.jpg.32f24a72e72b07d4941d8971bafc6e68.jpg

. It reminded me of a passage in an American book about the spiritual side of hunting that l once read . It went along the lines that sometimes a buck will give itself to you and it would be a disrespect to turn it down .   Not that l had any intention  of turning it down!

Next came a bit of a drag to get the animal to a place l could access with my van. I couldn't help notice the roe were still obliviously feeding in the next field ; clearly the wind really was on my side . I left them alone and headed back to the yard for the van.

On the way another buck appeared from a hedge about a hundred yards away . I sat on the wet grass and watched it.  Then l decided that if it was daft enough to be still there when l had loaded the rifle it would fall foul of the       " Anything in Season" condition of my permission .

It was and it did.20231019_180439.jpg.20d9b6f017798d5a51579079a43893a8.jpg

The  bucks might've  come easily but getting them to the yard in a Suzuki Jimny wasn't quite so straightforward  . Two journeys   , much juggling of scaffold planks and a bit of swearing later l was in no doubt that l definitely earned them .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 10