Book recommendations

StephOC

My son is very keen on falconry. He understands there’s a lot to do before he gets even close to buying a bird and it’s not put him off. We’ve watched YouTube from eagles in Mongolia to sheiks in Saudi. He’s only six but very capable in his manner.
He’s been lucky enough to handle various birds on a falconry trip in the summer. Desperate to go again.
We've Read books by jemima parry, Emma ford and James Harris. I wondered if anyone might be able to suggest your favourite books please? 
He’s thinking a male harris hawk would be best. I found an American book, The Harris Hawk Revolution, by Coulson. It claims to be the best book but it’s a lot of money. This is why I’ve thought I’ll ask for recommendations from falconers. 

The Harris hawk revolution is a very good book. If Harris hawks is your choice any of the books by Martin Hollinshead would be impossible to beat for a UK based austringer.

Although at six I'd say he has a long way to go until he's responsible enough to take charge of a hawk of his own.

Living in Sterling you are very close to a good hawk breeder who may be able to put him in touch with local austringers. That would allow him to gain hands on experience as he develops.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, StephOC said:

Thank you Moorman1.  I’ve found one of Martin Hollinshead’s books on eBay. 
I’m further north now, in Angus, there’s a falconer near here I’ll go and have a chat to.

Thanks again.

No problen Steph. If you get stuck anytime let me know I can put you in touch with a few austringers in Scotland that may give your son a day or two out.

• Like 1

That’s kind, thanks. Every hare and pheasant we see out walking its “Well my harris hawk might’ve got that one.” And another lecture about how to hold your arm just right for it. Walked half a mile yesterday carrying his water bottle in his outstretched arm to ‘build up his arm muscles’. He’s only 17kg, probably fair game for the eagles he’s been watching in Mongolia! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, StephOC said:

That’s kind, thanks. Every hare and pheasant we see out walking its “Well my harris hawk might’ve got that one.” And another lecture about how to hold your arm just right for it. Walked half a mile yesterday carrying his water bottle in his outstretched arm to ‘build up his arm muscles’. He’s only 17kg, probably fair game for the eagles he’s been watching in Mongolia! 

It's always good to get the youngsters involved after all they are the next generation of austringers to keep the sport going.

• Like 2