Rat pest control advice

Girlfriends got rats visiting from next door , an stealing her rabbits food and the bird table food first it was one now it’s had young up to 8? Running around we kind of fell out as I told her it’s needs sorting and  she should have let me shoot the first one a month ago . 🙄

Theres a old stone wall running along back of the terrace the rats currently live in hole in next door garden but other side of her is a pensioner with gammy hips who doesn’t do alot to theirs they are coming into the girlfriends for food as she has 2 rabbit runs and a 6x4 shed connected via pipe for her pets who also get let out in day time for exercise (don’t ask 🙄😂

so is there anything I can suggest to her she’s looking at bait boxes but worried the rats will drop it outside and a bird or her spoilt rabbit will eat it an die .

can’t use cage trap as I only visit weekends as it’s 40 mile round trip .

oh I sold my gun as well so can’t shoot then an she isn’t happy with me doing that either though I pointed out was more humane that way .

20 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Girlfriends got rats visiting from next door , an stealing her rabbits food and the bird table food first it was one now it’s had young up to 8? Running around we kind of fell out as I told her it’s needs sorting and  she should have let me shoot the first one a month ago . 🙄

Theres a old stone wall running along back of the terrace the rats currently live in hole in next door garden but other side of her is a pensioner with gammy hips who doesn’t do alot to theirs they are coming into the girlfriends for food as she has 2 rabbit runs and a 6x4 shed connected via pipe for her pets who also get let out in day time for exercise (don’t ask 🙄😂

so is there anything I can suggest to her she’s looking at bait boxes but worried the rats will drop it outside and a bird or her spoilt rabbit will eat it an die .

can’t use cage trap as I only visit weekends as it’s 40 mile round trip .

oh I sold my gun as well so can’t shoot then an she isn’t happy with me doing that either though I pointed out was more humane that way .

Sounds like the issue isn't just the neighbours but the rabbits, runs, sheds and bird tables. Address the food available first step. Clean up the garden. Get rid of the bird table. Lift the shed up and/or make sure it's tidy, no undergrowth around it and get it rat proof. Ideally it's better off up off the ground. Make sure runs and hutches are up and food isn't being kicked out. 

If you personally can't check traps or bait boxes daily I wouldn't be setting em. 

I go to jobs regularly where they blame the neighbour for having a 'nest' where they live. Ultimately it's the people feeding them that are more to blame. 

Remove the food and tidy up. Don't feed birds. If she insists on free range rabbits then fence and proof the garden with metal sheets, buried slates or mesh.

• Like 2

The runs are on thick slabs as the garden is gravelled , they are connected to a 6x4 shed with drainage type pipe the hutches are inside the shed .

I did say about the bird table and she done the usual female strop out of I’m not stopping to feed them . 

Since I posted this she’s contacted her mums neighbour who lives at end of the road who apparently is a pest controller and he said he will be down for a look ? 
personally can’t get my head around why she thinks poisoning Them is  more humane than shooting but Nevermind .

she’s out next Sunday and I’m here dog sitting so may bring the Crosman 2240 pistol I still have an sit in the summerhouse see if I can pop any that’s around .