The Tally Ho Dog Show and Race Day Sunday 3rd September 23. 

The Tally Ho Dog Show and Race Day Sunday 3rd September 23. 

As the sun broke through the clouds early last Sunday morning, with our dogs fed and watered, we headed off to the city of the 7 Towers, Ballymena and the venue for the Tally Ho Dog Show and Race day. And what a memorable day that was.

As we arrived at the venue the atmosphere was electric. Cars and trailers rolled up with dogs in tow and very soon the field was filled to capacity. With the sun shinning down in abundance, show organiser Peter Morgan was scurrying around making sure everything was in place, and by noon it was evident once again the Tally Ho dog show was in full swing.   

As I moved around the show I had a yarn with Mick Mc Cormick and Lorna and Paul Boyd at their Country Sports stands.   Both these men had plenty of good quality dog leads and loads of other country sports gear on their stand. 

The buzz around the Ferret ring was unreal, as judge Katelyn Mc Kenzie announced the Champion Ferrets of the Day. Katelyn you did a magnificent job for your young years and picked some really nice and worthy  Champions. 

Champion Ferret ( Showing )

Gareth Mc Gonigle with Speedy

Reserve 

John Reid with Snowey

Champion Ferret ( Racing )

Gareth Mc Gonigle with Speedy

Reserve 

John Reid with Snowey

Now to the part of the show I love, yes Niall O Cloghans Terrier Maze. What a great Country Sport this is. The Maze is a terrier mans dream and allows their prized terriers to get some practice in for the months ahead, and a bonus winning a trophy to take home with them.  Here are the Terrier Maze Results.

1/ Moo

2/ Rose

3/ Barley Banger with Ace.

The we people were out in force on Sunday, and as I had the pleasure of judging the childrens Handling class  all 42 boys and girls filled the ring with their canine companions. Peter Morgan made sure every child got a goody bag and a medal for taking part in the class.   Peter also laid on 2 bouncy castles so these children could play away on the day to their hearts content.  Some tired we feet on Sunday night and some stories for their teachers on Monday morning.

Here are the Showing Results

OVERALL PUPPY CHAMPION

Andy Spence with Sniper

Reserve

Gail Ross with Bert

OVERALL CHAMPION WHIPPET

Suzanne Addis with Jax

Reserve

Susan Mc Cann with Penny

OVERALL CHAMPION  LURCHER

Lisa Beggs with Ria

Reserve 

Katelyn Mc Kenzie with Zera

OVERALL CHAMPION TERRRIER

Reece Curran with

Reserve

Leanne Hawthorne with Raven

OVERALL CHAMPION STRONG DOG

Paula Beggs with Paco

OVERALL CHAMPION BULLY

Zakk Graham with Dave

Reserve

Stephen Richardson with Zoe

OVERALL CHAMPION PAIRS

Sean Burke with Paddy and Jack

GERARD &  TOMMY O HALLORAN COURSING MEMORIAL SHIELD

Darragh  Hugh

OVERALL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS FROM PETERS 6 SHOWS

Leanne Hawthorne with Raven

Reserve 

Darren Prenter with Celt

Overall Champion and Best in Show

Paula Beggs with Paco

Reserve

Lisa Beggs with Ria

Racing Results ( From the pen of Joanna Relf Lee )

LURCHER PUPS

1/ YAPPER HAYES WITH LADY

2/ GERARD DALY WITH MAJOR

WHIPPET PUPS

1/ SHAUN DOOHER WITH CELT

2/ CLIONA OWENS WITH BLADE

WHIPPET DOGS

1/ SEAN BURKE WITH JACK

2/ SEAN BURKE WITH PADDY

WHIPPET BITCH

1/ SEAN BURKE WITH LILY

2/SUZANNE ADDIS WITH POPPY

UNDER 21

1/ ROCKY CARTHY WITH DIAMOND

2/ DANIEL SCULLION WITH SUZIE

UNDER 23

1/ BILLY HARPUR WITH DASH

2/ VANESSA LYNN WITH ARTHUR

UNDER 24

1/ COLIN TUCKER WITH FLETCHER

2/ MICHAEL Mc GRATH WITH SPEEDY

OVER 24

1/ CLIONA OWENS WITH KING

2/ MICHAEL Mc GRATH WITH WEXFORD

HAIRY OVER

1/ ERROL GARDINER WITH CHASE

2/ MICHAEL Mc GRATH WITH CHANCE

BULL X LIGHT

1/ LEE BROOKES WITH ROLO

2/ TIERNAN BYRNE WITH MOLLIE

BULL X HEAVEY

1/ GERARD DALY WITH MAJOR

2/ KATELYN MC KENZIE WITH ZENA

PETS

PUPS

1/ ROSE QUINN WITH ELLIE

2/ CAHAL O CLOGHAN WITH MAX

3/ OLIVER DUNNE WITH MAXIMUS

TOY

1/ CARL ALLISON WIT DAISY MAY

2/ RHIONA REID WITH ALLIE

SMALL DOGS

1/ OLIVER DUNNE WITH RUBY

2/ AIBHOIFE REID WITH ROSEY

3/ FLORENCE ALLISON WITH DAISY MAY

LARGE DOGS

2/ CARL ALLISON WITH CHASE

3/ CASSIE GRAHAM WITH RAZOR

CHAMPION PUP

ROSE QUINN WITH ELLIE

CHAMPION DOG

2/ FLORENCE ALLISON WITH DAISY MAY.

Congratulations to all above winners

And Finally, may I take this opportunity to thank the Judges on the day for a job well done. 

Whippets : Colin Tucker

Lurchers :  Shay Boggs

Terriers  :   Ciaran Fullen

Bullys :        Karla Wilson

Strong Dogs: Peter Morgan

Pets : Joanna Relf Lee

Childrens Handling :  Margaret Mc Stay

JP O Hagan : Ladies & Gents Handling Class

The Lee Family and myself go back many, many years in the doggie world, to many to mention. Joanne, Matthew and the daddy Matt, you ran the racing with precision, experience and dedication and everything went like clock work. Joanne Relf Lee thank you for all the results.  You and your family are a pleasure to work with and long may it continue.

And Finally, Finally, As usual, a lot of hard work and planning went into organising this brilliant Dog Show and Race day in Ballymena. This would not of been possible if it were not for one very important person in the Canine world.

Yes Peter Morgan it is you I am speaking about. I cannot find enough words in my vocabulary to praise you for the   hospitality, generosity and  kindness you showed to me and the good Canine folk at your show on Sunday. 

Along with your helpers Conor Creagh and Caitlin Hughes you have put the Tally Ho Dog Show and Race Day firmly up there on the map with the Great and the Good.

The Cups, the Trophys and Raffle prizes you awarded for Winners and Champions at your show were beyond reproach. For a one man band Peter you are truly tops. All the hard work and sleepless nights paid off, and many thanks for an excellent show and a really memorable day and long may it continue. 

Thank you so much for the beautiful presentation you made to me on Sunday, it has taken pride of place in my sitting room.

To close my report on this great day out for every body, the good Canine folk again contributed to Charity by buying Raffle tickets for the Raffle. Peter Morgans giving hand was giving again. 

Peter presented Joanne and Paul Owens with £500 on the day, the proceeds from his raffle on Sunday for their Charity The Royal Victoria Liver Support Group, who helped them through their darkest days, when their little son Cathan received a liver transplant. What a worthy cause.

Tally Ho, You achieved what you set out to do 100%, and I know in my heart of hearts I will live to be at another Tally Ho show again in 2024. 

To we meet again God Bless.

Margaret Mc Stay