Any of you guys do drinking horns? I've a highland cattle horn my parents bought in Scotland as a wee bairn, I'd like to make into an heirloom or whatever, bit of damage wouldn't mind losing four inches off the top , any pointers ....

IMG_20230624_210532554.jpg

IMG_20230624_210524404.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ive allways found a fine tooth saw or a hacksaw works for cutting horn, when Ive been cutting arrow plates for my arrows. Wear a mask or dont breathe it in (its cancerous). I have a drinking horn I got through my years as a medieval re-enactor. I bought it as a fairly rough state the top edge I cleaned with sandpaper and the best way to clean it is the cheapest coke(tesco value or similar) and leave it to sit for a couple of days or so you will see the scum float and then rinse with water and let dry.

5 hours ago, ferretracer said:

Ive allways found a fine tooth saw or a hacksaw works for cutting horn, when Ive been cutting arrow plates for my arrows. Wear a mask or dont breathe it in (its cancerous). I have a drinking horn I got through my years as a medieval re-enactor. I bought it as a fairly rough state the top edge I cleaned with sandpaper and the best way to clean it is the cheapest coke(tesco value or similar) and leave it to sit for a couple of days or so you will see the scum float and then rinse with water and let dry.

Cheers some good tips there ? , I'll try the coke thing . I may hack a bit off it. Thinking maybe whip a bit of leather or brass wire around it. Haven't looked yet but probably buy a ferrule type thing for the point.