Books for Beginners

I have been a member of the site for sometime and read many of the forum topics. I have never owed a terrier before, just a pet lab. I would like to own and work a terrier. I live in the North area of Northumberland. Advice for novices on this site seems to be read as much as possible and find someone to take you out. I have bought D. B. Plummer's 'The New Complete Lurcher' and found it most interesting. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a similar book for working terriers, now that J. Darcy's 'Dig Deep Throw Well Back' is sold out. I have tried searching amazon.com but come up with very old (and expensive!) books or breed books.

Thank you for your time.

UG

I have been a member of the site for sometime and read many of the forum topics. I have never owed a terrier before, just a pet lab. I would like to own and work a terrier. I live in the North area of Northumberland. Advice for novices on this site seems to be read as much as possible and find someone to take you out. I have bought D. B. Plummer's 'The New Complete Lurcher' and found it most interesting. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a similar book for working terriers, now that J. Darcy's 'Dig Deep Throw Well Back' is sold out. I have tried searching amazon.com but come up with very old (and expensive!) books or breed books.

Thank you for your time.

UG

You won't learn much from books but I recommend anything by David Harcombe; I also think Hunt & Working Terriers is a good - albeit dated - read. Dan Russell's book is also pretty good but dated. Try Coch-Y-Bonndu books they are quite helpful.

Avoid anything by Sean Frain, he wouldn't know one end of a terrier from the other.

Edited by nuv

i would recomend a book by Sean Frain 'the traditional working terrier' it is not a story book and has a lot of imformation that could help you but then again the only real way to learn is frist out in the filed you can read all the books and not have a cule

i would recomend a book by Sean Frain 'the traditional working terrier' it is not a story book and has a lot of imformation that could help you but then again the only real way to learn is frist out in the filed you can read all the books and not have a cule

Is that the one that hasn't got a single picture of a dog working in it?

Edited by nuv
that is a shite book mate,i agree with nuv avoid frain's books.Anything by harcombe,darcys, two books are good and even plummers "the complete jack russell terrier" is not a bad wee book,it was my first book many years ago and i thought it was quite good Edited by dev
i read every book i can and take ponits form all as all have good and bad points to be fair

to be honest i read every book i can too but frains just dont seem to be much good,but saying that i keep buying them!!

I think the only book I can remember that actually "how to" is Jeremy Hobsons....which is always on Ebay....not much cop though.

Frains I woudn't touch. If you do buy one and become disillusioned Simoman will always take it off you at a handsome premium as he's a collector :yes: