Question for pro's

Guest DaiDog

Guys I've only been ferretting about a dozen times so would consider myself a novice although I've spent good money getting some tidy kit and make sure my 4 ferrets are well looked after. I went out yesterday with my boy for the first time this year and we managed 1 rabbitt , I have 4 kits this years young who are all a fair size and thought I would take the 2 jills. I went to places where I know from my shooting outings that there are lots of bunnies , the one place we must of netted 8 earths and never bolted one rabbit. My question is , the ferrets were going in one side and within about a minute were coming out the other side , were they working the earths properly ? Is it possible that they were not going down to where the rabbits are and just working the surface where the holes are ? The reason I'm asking this is whenever I've gone out before it always seemed my mates ferret would disappear for a good few minutes and then bunnies would bolt all over the place ,.Any advice much appreciated , thanks in advance DAVE

the first thing to do [bANNED TEXT] is 2 get your self agood marking dog they are worth there wieght in gold you wont spend all day netting up empty earths...get to know how your ferrets work they are all different once your young ferrets have bolted a few the penny will soon drop :good:

the first thing to do [bANNED TEXT] is 2 get your self agood marking dog they are worth there wieght in gold you wont spend all day netting up empty earths...get to know how your ferrets work they are all different once your young ferrets have bolted a few the penny will soon drop  :good:

Cheers Bob I was seeing yesterday how handy it would be to have a good marker , I used to have a load of dogs and did a lot of lamping/coursing but since I've had a change of circumstance I got no dogs, the earths all looked used , they were kicked out and had loads of fresh droppings around them so I assumed they were gooduns...Thanks for the advice..Dave

Guest eirnhunter

most young ferrets dont know how to hunt at the start,all ferrets will hunt.some just better than others,it all comes down to the owner,and how much time you put in to them,like everything else.at the start most young ferrets are just exploring the burrows,like when they go in one hole and straight out another.what i find helps is trying to find a small burrow that you know has something in it,and bring them out a little hungary.a dog is a great help,but not a must,you will learn when a burrow has someone home your self.the fact that your ferrets are going down the burrow without to much trouble is a good start,they are more likey to meet a bunny on there walk through the burrow.once they meet there first rabbit underground there instinct kicks in.when i am finished hunting i normaly gut any rabbits i have and feed the ferrets up on the livers etc,before heading for home,they get used to the treat after each hunt and helpes to stop them lieing up in the burrows.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I cant get a dog at the mo , circumstances wont allow it , I intend being patient and getting out with my [bANNED TEXT] who has dogs and keep going till they come good..Once again thanks, Dai