Back to the caravan park!

A couple of weeks ago I got a message from the owner of the caravan park that a fox was knocking about and would i go and sort it out for him. Well I completely forgot because I have been busy elsewhere with them. I suddenly remembered last night at 9.30ish and thought I had better go and see if I can catch up with it. I got there with my mate an hour later and set up. There are biggish foals and some bullocks on this field so it is a bit patchy on the grass. It is nicely grazed in areas but whispy long in others. There is a river that runs the full length of the field on one side. Half an hour in i saw something go past on the opposite side but couldn’t just tell what it was properly. I suspected it was a fox and five minutes later something popped out of the cover a couple of hundred yards away on our side of the river. I had a look through the Drone and could instantly id it as a fox and it was making its way to the caller. It took a bit of good timing to whistle at the right time to stop it in a clear patch but we managed it. I squeezed the trigger on the 243 and it collapsed instantly. It turned out to be a vixen at 145 yards . I thought whilst we were up that way we may as well try at the back of the owners place so we went there. After driving through the yard we set up and began calling. It wasn’t until I changed the call to cub distress that anything happened. I saw a fox come through the hedge in the next field and start to run in. Suddenly it stopped and went back and to the left coming to a stop in front of a tree. It kept popping up and looked at us but no matter what call i played it wasn’t going to come. I decided that if I was going to shoot it, it would have to be where it was. I settled the reticule on the target and squeezed the rear bag to alter the rifles position a little. When I was happy I changed the call again to get it to lift its head up which it did. I squeezed the timney trigger and the unmistakable sound of a head shot came back to us. It was a viven cub at 188 yards. 

7894DEDE-E8BD-44E3-BF99-C419FB8A64B8.jpeg

E8C3FBDF-4506-465E-AA55-42FEC4067FD4.jpeg

0C5E9276-A11F-4875-968C-8695E770DA32.jpeg

• Like 7