mk3 collars slipping off

I have a jill with quite a thint head and no matter how tight I make the collar the damn thing slipps off. My hob is ok as he has quite a big head and it stays on him. I have now lost a collar as the batteries must have died, cant get a locate on it but did not lose her.

I have obviuosly ordered a new one but someone must have a trick to keep it on, cant go either digging to a collar or losing them all the time, please help!!

steve

Hi Arthur,theres been several threads on this problem with MK3 collars a some of the lads have put the transmitters onto leather collars.I own the MK3 & never had a collar come off yet(touch wood) :doh: on 1 of my jills i tighten up to 3 holes the other jills a touch smaller 2 holes at first it looked very uncomfortable but they never protested.Have you put any extra holes in the collar yourself??

Guest bigredbusa

i posted on this and is very common with small uns , i took some very sound advise off here and just changed the collar for a leather one 99p of the dreaded ebay and no more losing collars . bingo !!

Yep,I can confirm the above.

I bought a new mk 3 collar last week.As sometimes happens she got it stuck in the net on her way out and started to drag the net down.When I pulled at the net (a game the young ferrets seem to love) off came the collar...just in reach.

I've put it on an old leather one which works a treat. ;)

i use tape to seal the battery part of the collar because i found they played up when wet

As some ferrets are a bit portly ,especially in Winter condition,and others are slim it obviously pays to experiment with collar width, design and tightness and practice fitting your collars at home making adjustments -extra holes etc before you actually find yourself in the field.Let the ferret wear the collar (without batteries)for a few hours in its hutch to become used to it.I'm pretty sure that the Mk3 "collars" are actually military watch straps.Some people trap a tuft of the ferrets fur in the buckle to help stop the collar slipping round on the neck too much(a sideways collar can affect the signal especially to a Mk3 reciever.) .The MK3 collars do seem more fussy about dirt,dust and damp than the old type.Even with a twist of tape round the main joint ,muck still finds its' way in via the end of the battery chamber where the collar goes through the slot.This could be a bigger problem with thinner collars . :thumbs: