Not being one to miss an oppertunity

A friend had been dropping hints about a fox that was getting a bit too cocky . A run -in with the farm yard cats hadn't been enough to stop it familiarising itself with her chicken run in broad daylight .

In an effort to   earn some Brownie points l set out in pursuit yersterday evening. Some tracks for horse exercising had just been cut through a hayfield and l hoped the naughty fox would turn up to do a bit of scavenging amongst the the newly mown grass.

Settling on a position that gave me a good view along the biggest track l sat down and waited. And waited. I should've  brought a book with me. Or moved   ; but l had one of those "feelings". Something was going to happen   , just knew it. 

What happened was that the fox appeared but was snuffling  about in a manner that was taking it further away by the second.  It rather unsportingly ignored a few pathetic efforts at squeaking it up but seemed oblivious to my presence anf pottered up a side track ,and out of view. 

There  was a faint possibility l could get a shot if it tarried in the next field which was grazed down by horses . I  crept about 200 yards in an ape-like crouch to a position that l thought might prove fruitful. And yes there was the fox ; still snuffling about like a spaniel and within range of someone with my limited skills. .... But it wasn't the only occupant of the field .

20220611_222450.jpg.07e8cfb54c2a05652a8b5d6a41d606de.jpg

I'll have another go for the fox some other time. 

Edited by comanche
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, David.evans said:

It’s  bonus instead of the chicken killer , may I ask what rifle That is 

and congratulations on posting deer in the right section 

atb 

?? lt's a BSA cf2 .243 .The Leupold Variex 111 scope is probably worth more than the rifle?

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2