Larsen Springs ~ Fitting?

Help me out, please, lads? I have a pair of Larsen springs here. But, I aim to use them differently.

I have some 1" square, heavy steel mesh to cover the open top of an aviary. I intend to cut four inch holes in it, to allow crows. But, I also want to rig it so I can shut those holes off, to catch sparrows.

Same basic principle as a Larsen then. Slightly over sized 'Door' held down / open by some means I'm yet to work out. But, on my 'pulling a pin', or some such, the door will be free to be lifted to snap shut against the roof by the power of the spring.

Am I making myself clear? As, I believe, these springs need one arm braced against a vertical surface? Fine. I can put the holes in the corners of the main traps body.

Thanks for any pointers. I haven't handled a Larsen in years and, frankly, never really took any notice of its construction. It worked. That was all I needed to know.

There are a couple of different set ups lad. Have a look at this pic. Piece of thick wire or steel rod. Slide spring through rod, and attach to welded mesh using clips or even small little cable ties. Then attach one spring leg to door, and other end fixed too top of cage.

Screenshot_20210917-195420_Chrome.jpg

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Thanks 1

No, sorry its not a great picture, but I actually don't have any of those style traps any more.

The door is to the left, open down and out of sight. You can see the spring arm going down into cage. That one is attached to door. The spring arm to the right is attached to top of cage

Ah! Righto, mate, yeah! I just went and got one of my springs. Gave it a bend. Fukk me! They lift with some force, don't they?!

But then, I s'pose if they're mean't to be snapping about a foot or more square of one inch timber and a load of wire, fast as fukk, they need some whack.

Okay. Good. I gave some bigger sized J Clips in stock and shall soon find some suitable bar.

Now that I'm giving my cupboard a rest for the weekend, apart from some brush cutting I hope to do, I might have time to focus on the preliminaries of getting this big trap set up.

No heated rush as, I guess, the nearer to winter we get, the more eager the birds will be to come for the regular bait.

• Like 1