young wheaten

My mate has a wheaten 3/4 grey shes 16 month old and is a tidy pup, she's very subserviant [sp] and rather timid with other dogs, she works rabbit well and has tracked afew wounded roe, what he wants to know is are wheatons slow starters as he doesnt want to put her into a situation too young :) thanks

at 16 months she should be getting right in there, my pups are 7 months old and will get in , abit young but showing they want it ,but on saying that mac out nost days for a walk with me terriers,the first thing he killed was rat at 21 weeks old and came up to me with it,he hunts well as had a couple of runs,dont want to over do it with them ,good luck with ur bitch.

Hi,at 16 months she should be well on her way to taking anything you point her to,could be her upbringing,her training even,i know lads that had half bred and three quarter bred and all have started at twelve months,but maybe she is just a slow starter.

Edited by bullx

From my limited experience with pure Wheatens I would say take it slowly. Quite a few chaps with experience of the pure Wheatens have told me the same. Basically they need time to "switch on" ! However when they do, they REALLY NEED THE WORK !! Don't give the dog anything that bites hard until 18 months................... unless it self enters of course ! :thumbs:

Too many folks in my opinion think that because a dog is bull or wheaten bred it is practically odds on to be game as you like from 10 months onwards when in reality every dog no matter what the breeding needs to be well clear of puppyhood to be ready for real tests of heart.

Just my opinions though...............

;)

Edited by Brummy

I had a Wheaten bitch about five years ago and she would fight with adult terriers when she still had her puppy teeth a real fecking loon. What a liability it turned out to be, good old Wheatens. So I dought if its the Wheaten in your bitch that makes it submisive around other dogs, but this doesnt mean she is not ready to go. 16 months this bitch should be flying.

good luck Lee

Lee

I had a Wheaten bitch that at 8 months flattened a mature Staffy dog to the point she had to be battered off it or the dog was a gonner for sure ! She was the same with every dog she came across, loved full on scrapping ! :boxing: However, she would play fight happily all day with my two lurchers. But, show her game and she wasn't bothered until she was 15 months old. She's now with a lad in Yorkshire who shows her a bit and doing very well ! ;)

She was a fantastic bitch though and in the future when I've got more time to work one properly I'd definately have another. I've got an 8 month 3/4 Grey 1/4 Wheaten dog at the minute and he's shaping up great. I don't know if it's the terrier blood, but like my beddy/whippet bitch his nose is superb and as I do a lot of daytime mooching this is something I really value.

My Wheaten bitch was rehomed at the age of seven after she broke my new Presas puppys jaw,he was 4 months old and didn't have an ounce of dog agression in him. I also didnt have any time and work for her and we had a small child she kept giving the eye so :bye:

Sorry I forgot to say she hated people as well, caught seven people in one day, not badly but still a record.

Edited by leegreen
I had a Wheaten bitch about five years ago and she would fight with adult terriers when she still had her puppy teeth a real fecking loon. What a liability it turned out to be, good old Wheatens. So I dought if its the Wheaten in your bitch that makes it submisive around other dogs, but this doesnt mean she is not ready to go. 16 months this bitch should be flying.

good luck Lee

Lee

Just saw a post relating to hair loss.

Just thought you may be interested in this subject ?

Hawk Ok quite a nice one really .