First cross Deerhound/Greyhound

hows it going yeah seen this cross at every type of game and find them very usefull a jack of all trades ,,,, any ive seen or had done all quarry ,,,, some can be great hare dogs others others better on the large stuff but ive yet to see a bad one in saying that all have been breed from our working deerhounds which get as much as the lurchers and from quaility irish coursing greyhounds i wouldnt be as worried about the greyhound as the deerhound in terms of quality it just happened that the greyhounds were quality whatever happens ensure the deerhound is a good worker there is a litter like that at the moment but im afraid there all prebooked ,,,,,

Thanks for replys folks. Anyone know if dogs are as useful on all quarry as bitches? just wondering as dogs can be a fair bit bigger

Don't have much experience of 1/2 x but this 3/4 bitch worked well for me

IMG_0807web.jpg

hunting005.jpg

Don't have any pics on charlie, but she had a few a while back :whistling:

Thanks for replys folks. Anyone know if dogs are as useful on all quarry as bitches? just wondering as dogs can be a fair bit bigger

IMG_0807web.jpg

hunting005.jpg

whats she like on day time hare and lamped hares??

First cross not for me to tall and slow get a three quarter, makes better dog and a good allrounder.Best off luck in your quest.

not if you have the right deerhound 3/4 can be a bit soft on rough ground and lack a bit stamina but everyone to there own

IMG_0807web.jpg

hunting005.jpg

whats she like on day time hare and lamped hares??

She used to do very well for herself, back-in-the-day. Used her head a lot more than I expected - suffice to say, she convinced me that's the type of cross I'll be keeping from here on in.

First cross not for me to tall and slow get a three quarter, makes better dog and a good allrounder.Best off luck in your quest.

as you say a 3/4 G 1/4 Deerhound is a lot better than a big heavy, slow turning first cross which i found didn't have much stamina probably as they have to lug all that Wight around with them. If i had to have a first cross it would be a bitch as their a bit better .

as you say a 3/4 G 1/4 Deerhound is a lot better than a big heavy, slow turning first cross which i found didn't have much stamina probably as they have to lug all that Wight around with them. If i had to have a first cross it would be a bitch as their a bit better .

not if you have a quality hunting deerhound they work great in ireland and so do the deerhounds but maybe its different over with you good hunting :thumbs:

Ive got a first cross bitch from a very handy litter of first crosses very fast and deadly obn most game.

Stevemac

Pic is of her and her first hare at 8 mnths

lovely sized bitch you have there mate tend to come about the same size over here in ireland hows her stamina