calling muntjac

has any one had any experiance calling munties . have heard the butollo works

Hello Nemo. I have used the Butollo to bring in many a muntjac at all times of the year. I usually use it from within my jacket pocket in order to mute the sound a little. I don't play any particular tune. Just a few squeaks now and again. Its also useful to stop a passing muntie in its tracks as it does not spook them as much as the low cough I often use to stop a moving fallow. Good hunting.

Greengrass3

• 3 months later...

I have used the Buttolo successfully on several occasions. However...

In our village, there is a nature reserve (therefore unfortunatley no Munty shooting allowed!), where I suspected there were Munties. Went in one evening, just before dusk, stood by a tree, waited for a while, then squeaked the buttolo from inside my jacket pocket - just the single tone sqeak not the peeeeeh-aaaah squeak. Lierally seconds later a Munty buck appeared out of the brambles, and circled round me. Every time he looked like heading off, I squeaked again, and back he came. This must have gone on for over 20 minutes until he eventually got fed up and wandered off barking frequently in his frustration.

Tried again a few times a few weeks later and no response at all. I know the munties were still there - loads of slots.

Although I stand to be corrected, I suspect it may have something to do with the breeding cycle - if there are plenty of ferromones around (i.e. Doe in season) they will respond, maybe less inclined to respond if their testosterone isn't running on turbocharged!

Just my twopennorth!

Good hunting!

MM

• 2 weeks later...

Muntjac can be called by barking back at them yourself .Ive done it several times ,calling both does and bucks in to be shot .Its my experience that both doe and buck bark to advertise their presence and posible breeding status.Listen in an area where they bark , usally just on dark but anytime in the night ,and you will soon distinguish between bucks and does .Without drawing attention to yourself from passers by ,you need to perfect your own bark as the wrong sound amongst barking muntjac will have them all quiet and gone .Ive had them come nearly to my feet and took several with a lurcher when it was legal .Magical to hear them barking closer i can tell you :victory: .

Had a munty barking out the back of my girlfriends place down in Suffolk at the weekend. Not sure if it was a buck or doe, but it was bloody persistent, until the neighbour went out flashing a torch about!

Saw a buck chasing a doe about the next morning around the gardens, so could be linked to the breeding cycle??

Had a munty barking out the back of my girlfriends place down in Suffolk at the weekend. Not sure if it was a buck or doe, but it was bloody persistent, until the neighbour went out flashing a torch about!

Saw a buck chasing a doe about the next morning around the gardens, so could be linked to the breeding cycle??

Don't wish to be blunt mate but the barking IS 100% linked to breeding .Its because they generally live in dense undergrowth that they need to advertise their presence and condition .To the unknowing ,it may sound like a dog barking and i've smiled when to myself when out with other people who have commented on that 'fecking dog barking'.You need to live around them to appreciate the urgency of a doe barking though .

Thanks for the comments Foxdropper. You have obviously had quite a bit of experience with the species.

Out of interest, do munties also bark in alarm, like roe? If so, is there a noticeble change to the tone?

Novice

Yes mate ,they have an alarm too .A very staccato bark repeated in short bursts but unlike any dog you will hear .A stiff legged trot is seen whilst they are barking ,head up and tail like a bog brush .Like most other species i guess but again ,usually in thick cover .

Just to add that when a munty buck approaches a doe for the first meet ,he circles her and presents his rear end ,nice if your a munty doe i suppose . :icon_eek:

• 3 weeks later...