iv incubated and reared several quail that have just got to full size and a few needed thining to get the balance of cocks and hens, a few have gone for hawk food and a few made it to the oven. i kept it simple and just stuffed them with a bit of garlic and bacon rind then wrapped the skinned birds in bacon to stop them drying out and put them in the rayburn for a bit. they were really good and had a suprising amount of meat on, for something that is so cheap and easy to bring on, the end result is well worth it. for anyone who likes the idea of rearing there own food for the table they are worth a go and take so little space that its practical for most of the people who want to try a bit of "the good life" but are stuck for room.

on the next kull im going to to do "kernow fried quail"

i bet it will taste better than its kentucky fried cousin.

Always wanted to try and raise quail and looked into buying some. I keep chickens but thought quail were hard to keep. Can you recomend some good books/websites for a beginner in quail? And would they be ok in the North of Scotland? I did get an incubater from a friend but havent had the courage to use it yet definately need guidance on that aspect. They sound tasty!!

Always wanted to try and raise quail and looked into buying some. I keep chickens but thought quail were hard to keep. Can you recomend some good books/websites for a beginner in quail? And would they be ok in the North of Scotland? I did get an incubater from a friend but havent had the courage to use it yet definately need guidance on that aspect. They sound tasty!!

quail are the easiest birds i have reared by far, if you keep chickens you will have no problems with quail. there are loads of different sorts of quail and the italian and japanese are probably the best to start off with and seem quite hardy as well. just chuck yourself in at the deep end, incubate a few eggs and nock up a little shed, before you no it you'll be a fully fledged quail farmer :clapper::clapper:

they are easy to do and are good to eathttp://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/1fishat/2006_0616house0012.jpg.

you wont the quail place forum-index.

i used to keep 3 quail in each of my aviary's as a youngster they are hardy as nick just the hens never want to sit on there egs lol and if its the big type's then best kept on there own as iv seen them jump about 6 foot of the floor and pull down a lovebird and kill it on quite a few occasions . sounds like a decent idea id give it a shot if it wasnt for the girl saying im allowed nothing else till we move lol .

any piks of from incubation to plate could make a good wee video for the site lol.

i saw a web site and they were being kept in cages/hutches like rabbit hutches ? anyone ever done that? any info? i fancy a wee try at a few ,for the oven, what about feeding ,i know you canbuy small grains but always looking for a wee bargain? ie:=chicks eat scraps ,and veg.