Roebuck

I dont shoot many roe bucks on this estate now as I tend to take guests there during the summer and focus on the fallow myself. This one I shot my self as the owner had asked for some roe fillet. If I'm honest it wasn't the best shot but Willow saved the day.

20200831_081541.jpg

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2020 at 02:24, sussex said:

No one gets it spot on every time , the secret is having the right tools at hand when you need them ..?

That is very true. If you shoot enough some wont be perfect, its the nature of the game. The benefit of having a fast but steady tracking dog is apparent in these situations, she'd sat under the seat all morning watching deer but when I tell her to she will catch them for me. Very handy when a wounded deer is still very mobile. She's 10 now, going to be a very hard dog to replace.

• Like 1
On 11/09/2020 at 11:43, Tyla said:

That is very true. If you shoot enough some wont be perfect, its the nature of the game. The benefit of having a fast but steady tracking dog is apparent in these situations, she'd sat under the seat all morning watching deer but when I tell her to she will catch them for me. Very handy when a wounded deer is still very mobile. She's 10 now, going to be a very hard dog to replace.

Tell me about it mate ! ...once in a lifetime dogs ...the strange thing is they seem to fall into your hands ..my last dog ( Elsa ) was a joy to have out , nothing fazed her , she picked up on what was required in no time ,she learnt the job required of her as if she had read the book .Lived for going out , loved every second of every day she was out ..and that dog came as gift , she was bored stiff living in an apartment and subsequently eat the furniture ? ..the people who owned her were puppy people , once they were past puppy they were bored of them ..I got her at 18 months as a complete waste of space for nothing ...six months later that dog couldn't be bough for any money ( not least because my old lady would have skinned me alive ) , she was a once in a lifetime dog ...as much as I love her replacement she will always be that a , replacement ...that is not downgrading my present dog , it’s just a recognition of what went before ..

They say in your shooting life if you get one super dog your a lucky man ..god forbid I could be that lucky to find a better dog than Elsa ...

edited to say the tears are running down my face at the thoughts of that dog and the days we had out ..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Out of likes Rich but nice read mate .Been lucky enough to own several ,IMO great dogs and one outstanding lurcher x terrier that did everything both mixes could .Caught deer pre ban and went to ground on anything .Used to take her out all day mooching and at night lamping same day .

The whole with how a dog behaves is a direct rub off from the owner .Keep calm and only reprimand with voice and you will make a much better dog than the noisy ,hands on type that goes through dogs trying to find the holy grail.

I used to lamp with a chap that was real jealous of my Bracken and bought so called ready made lurchers from up and down the country that never did match her stamina ,she was a one off and never produced anything to match her ,not even near .

He was the heavy handed type that wouldn’t let his dog free range in daylight therefore the dog found nothing .

It was all about control with him ,never hunting as equals .

I like a dog to hunt ,to show me hunting and not wait to be told what to do .

Hope your new replacement does the job Rich but I know what you mean about Elsa .

Hows the fallow season going mate .

• Like 3
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Out of likes Rich but nice read mate .Been lucky enough to own several ,IMO great dogs and one outstanding lurcher x terrier that did everything both mixes could .Caught deer pre ban and went to ground on anything .Used to take her out all day mooching and at night lamping same day .

The whole with how a dog behaves is a direct rub off from the owner .Keep calm and only reprimand with voice and you will make a much better dog than the noisy ,hands on type that goes through dogs trying to find the holy grail.

I used to lamp with a chap that was real jealous of my Bracken and bought so called ready made lurchers from up and down the country that never did match her stamina ,she was a one off and never produced anything to match her ,not even near .

He was the heavy handed type that wouldn’t let his dog free range in daylight therefore the dog found nothing .

It was all about control with him ,never hunting as equals .

I like a dog to hunt ,to show me hunting and not wait to be told what to do .

Hope your new replacement does the job Rich but I know what you mean about Elsa .

Hows the fallow season going mate .

Still out in Spain mate , won’t be back for a month or so depending on what’s happening with the virus ..my pal is looking after my places and he’s just ticking over at the moment , he sent me some pics from the other morning and there was doe’s everywhere , he see a couple of bucks but left them , nothing great  but nice symmetrical heads with a bit of promise..there will be so much poor headed stuff about it wasn’t worth knocking them over ..
Update  on one of my places where the deer use a 100 acres off our boundary as a sanctuary is the place changed hands earlier in the year and the new owners rang and asked would we take on there place ..there bit borders ours and the anti woman’s land ..they are keen to get there woodland back into shape but realise the deer are a major  problem .They are going to fence some of it so it will get a chance to rejuvenate but know the deer will need to be managed long term ..he sent my pal a picture of seventy odd laying on his lawn .. 

There is no charge for the stalking as he considers it a job needing doing , but would welcome some venison ...hope he’s got a big fridge ...

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 31/08/2020 at 09:25, Tyla said:

I dont shoot many roe bucks on this estate now as I tend to take guests there during the summer and focus on the fallow myself. This one I shot my self as the owner had asked for some roe fillet. If I'm honest it wasn't the best shot but Willow saved the day.

20200831_081541.jpg

nice buck, congrats