Three weeks ago I opened the kennel to see the spaniel had passed quite a lot of blood in his urine. To the point rich coagulated clumps had passed. Anyway he's had two weeks of antibiotics for possible UTI and had his prostate checked at the time with no sign of enlargement/inflammation so assumed UTI. It did pretty much clear up but by the end of the course (and still now) there's blood visible in his urine when his bladder is almost empty. No visible blood when he has his first few big pees, only really when he's pretty much empty and then none of the really rich blood. The dog is and has been otherwise completely fine in every other respect.

Anyway, I've had his prostate checked again and the vet (different vet) reckoned it might be a little enlarged this time and has suggested £450 worth of tests and stuff to rule out an antibiotic-resistant UTI and if it is prostate to castrate (at additional cost).

At the moment I'm inclined to give it a little while and see if it improves in the short term but wanted to hear of other experiences with it.

I'm literally about to start dogging in so it's f***ing terrible timing and I'm not super keen on cutting a working dogs balls off tbh.

Oh, a few other things, the dogs four and also literally a few days before this started he got pretty close to a bitch in season so I've just got a suspicion it's sent his testosterone through the roof causing this. :thumbs:

Edited by Born Hunter

If not intending to breed getting his balls off would be the easiest option and he'd be up and about pretty quick afterwards whereas trying treatments will take time and may well end up having to get them off in the end anyway but its a gamble as he may recover..

Some info here.

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/dog-owners/reproductive-disorders-of-dogs/reproductive-disorders-of-male-dogs#v3206246

Edited by sandymere
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, sandymere said:

If not intending to breed getting his balls off would be the easiest option and he'd be up and about pretty quick afterwards whereas trying treatments will take time and may well end up having to get them off in the end anyway but its a gamble as he may recover..

Some info here.

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/dog-owners/reproductive-disorders-of-dogs/reproductive-disorders-of-male-dogs#v3206246

Thanks, I'm probably not going to breed from him as I don't keep bitches, but it's a bit final :laugh:

Also, the diagnosis is a little too far from being conclusive for my liking at the moment. Of course I could pay hundreds of pounds for that but if it's not 'serious' is that really necessary?

He's been off the ABX for a week now with no sign of worsening. I suspect he did have a UTI as well which was cleared up quickly but fundamentally caused by enlarged prostate.

At the moment I'm inclined to give it six weeks, monitoring his condition and make a decision then. I may end up having to castrate but I don't want to rush into it at the first sign of trouble.

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Thanks, I'm probably not going to breed from him as I don't keep bitches, but it's a bit final :laugh:

Also, the diagnosis is a little too far from being conclusive for my liking at the moment. Of course I could pay hundreds of pounds for that but if it's not 'serious' is that really necessary?

He's been off the ABX for a week now with no sign of worsening. I suspect he did have a UTI as well which was cleared up quickly but fundamentally caused by enlarged prostate.

At the moment I'm inclined to give it six weeks, monitoring his condition and make a decision then. I may end up having to castrate but I don't want to rush into it at the first sign of trouble.

sounds a sensible plan.