Dear Forum,

Last year I watched magpies hunt song birds close to my house(rural). I watched them hunt them in packs of

between 4 and 14. Last season lots of evidence of small birds feathers, eggs and the remains of their nests I have found in the fields and close my hose as result of these birds. (Remember I watched Magpies do this).

I have started dispatching these birds in order to curb their antics but since I have dispatched two Magpies they have multiplied and they are numerous (excess of 13) around my house. They have become difficult to get near and even have spotted me hiding in undergrowth.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cull these birds in numbers as they are decimating the song bird population around my home and surrounding countryside?

Help

knifebar :angry:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bruno527

great time of year this , do the siloette trick, bump 'em in the roost tree at twilight, with a descent air rifle & silencer, i've bumped 100's.......the 'little bstds'

They did the same to the song birds here, not no more..

get a toy cat,teddy, or roland rat or similar from the charity shop ,place it some where you dont usually bump the maggies..& move it around, day to day..

they will come in & caccle it, BANG !BANG ! :bye:

i use a screen over the back door/scaffolding screen/cammo etc & bump them..50-70 yds, but you will have to shoot from diffrent places, they will not come for food once spooked !!

:no:

:toast:

best i did was 22 in a morning, outa the back door ! :clapper:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
It depends on how you look at it! :hmm:

:rolleyes: Yeah. Right. Ok. I'm walking away from this one. I'm willing to help anyone with a genuine problem. But I Will Not play cat and mouse with newb's.

:bye:

Guest little_lloyd

Larson Trap is you want to make an impact on them,,, Never get much far shooting the odd one or two,,

But the magpies wont be egg predatating this time of year bud,, the birds are not nesting :no:

Larsons can be quite expensive,,..But you can always build your own using the article big fish wrote up.

A couple of years ago i had a few magpies eating eggs in my hen house and even attacking young goslings.I found a site with instructions and drawings of a magpie trap. I made one trap it took about a week to start working.One evening i checked it and found seven magpies inside over the next few days i trapped over twenty magpies.If anyone asked me how many magpies were around i would have said maybe six.Anyway the site i found was . http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departme...f/all/agdex3946

A couple of years ago i had a few magpies eating eggs in my hen house and even attacking young goslings.I found a site with instructions and drawings of a magpie trap. I made one trap it took about a week to start working.One evening i checked it and found seven magpies inside over the next few days i trapped over twenty magpies.If anyone asked me how many magpies were around i would have said maybe six.Anyway the site i found was . http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departme...f/all/agdex3946

Hello Macconraoi

I tried your link but can't seem to find anything. It refers to bee keeping. I am currently making a Trap, Big Fish has posted and hopefully this should work. Although the trap you suggested can trap more than two Magpies. I will keep searching again on the link you gave me. As I where I live here in Ireland, there are numerable birds.

Kindest ragards

Knifebar... :bye:

I tried your link but can't seem to find anything.

You give up tooo easy :thumbs: Here it is

http

://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departme.../all/agdex3496

Brilliant thank you, it looks quite simple really, its hard to see how the magpie can't get back out. Although it must work if it has been tried.

Many thanks john b :clapper:

Knifebar