Training terriers

I use to have jack russles, and 3000 acres permission to mooch, so my dog never needed any lead training he use to use walk with me... I've taken some time out and my permission passed on to somebody with more time than I had, now I walk my pup in semi urban areas so he's on the lead a lot. Just wondering what everybodys methods of training are, my patterdale is picking up his training really well for a three month old pup. He was house trained and had the basic command's down by 10weeks, outside is a different matter... I use chicken outside for rewards as he values it more, but can't seem to get him to settle around people, other dogs, and he loves to pull when he gets excited. I know he's only young and he will mellow with experience and as he matures, just wondered if any body had any fundamental tips, to lay a good foundation. 

On 06/12/2019 at 14:10, The English Badger said:

I use to have jack russles, and 3000 acres permission to mooch, so my dog never needed any lead training he use to use walk with me... I've taken some time out and my permission passed on to somebody with more time than I had, now I walk my pup in semi urban areas so he's on the lead a lot. Just wondering what everybodys methods of training are, my patterdale is picking up his training really well for a three month old pup. He was house trained and had the basic command's down by 10weeks, outside is a different matter... I use chicken outside for rewards as he values it more, but can't seem to get him to settle around people, other dogs, and he loves to pull when he gets excited. I know he's only young and he will mellow with experience and as he matures, just wondered if any body had any fundamental tips, to lay a good foundation. 

I wouldn’t try too hard to stop a terrier pulling on the lead, you can use positive or negative training methods and the outcome will still be a terrier that pulls on a days hunting. I prefer to Walk the pup In a quiet spot where you don’t meet people, people are a nuisance when out on a walk.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, yeah I will be using him when I'm out ferreting, and I'll get some ratting sorted... Sounds like I'm on the right track, and I've been doing just that trying to stay away from everyone as most people's first reaction is to fuss him. he's doing great to be fair. I like the tip about hiding, I tryed it the other day, he sat down and started wining ha ha! 

Edited by The English Badger
  • Like 1