How to work the wind

Guest Spike 70

Guest Spike 70

Hello people....This is my first post on this site, but some of you will know me from smoochers, and I thought I would pick your brains.

When you go out for a nights lamping and have a vast amount of ground in front of you how do you work the wind to gain maxium advantage from every field. Do you lads and lasses just walk stright in to it and keep going? or zig- zag from field to field. At some point we all end up with the wind blowing the wrong way if you have to get back to you vehicle and dont get picked up by the other half :D:D .

Or do you try and keep a cross wind most of the time.

I know a lot will depend on the ground, just trying to gain an idea of how other people do it.

Cheers ..............Spike

Good topic Spike.

But sorry.........I don't understand what you mean by this................ :lol:

When you go out for a nights lamping and have a vast amount of ground in front of you

Joking apart, I've always taken note of wind direction, and try to walk into it, day or night.

By day it gives my hunting up Lurcher the best possible chance of finding. But usually these walks are circular, in which case I make sure that the "best" side is the one where we walk into the wind.

After dark, (when I go out for a nights lamping and have a small amount of ground in front of me), I'll retrace my steps for the next good spot, rather than approach with the wind behind me. Only Friday night, I did this and surprised a single rabbit 50 yards out, which (joy O' joy), actually squatted. She still missed it, (but of course you already know that, cos if she'd had it, I'd've posted about a dozen pics of it by now, on 5 different forums :lol: ), but it was a good attempt.

There's no point in walking across open ground where I go, cos there's nothing that far out. So I hug the margins. One dilemma for me is a particular high hedge with a 7 foot chainlink fence down the centre, which runs roughly North South. There's rough waste grassland on the east side and rough pasture on the west and occasional Rabbits on both sides. As the wind is usually roughly westerly where I live, I get in tight to the westerly side and go through the motions on the pasture, accepting there'll definitely be now't on the wasteland when I get round there.

Usually I find I'm pissing into the wind anyway......... :haha:

Hi, i always lamp from my quarrys escape route no matter what quarry that is.... we obviously do take wind into consideration, but sometimes you have no option but to have the wind behind you...on a true windy night we have walked right up to squatters in the beam and they could definately smell us, so perhaps in strong winds your scent isnt that important?...maybe...great topic by the way.....JD

...on a true windy night we have walked right up to squatters in the beam and they could definately smell us, so perhaps in strong winds your scent isnt that important?...

You have a point there, in really strong winds that swirl all over, they're much more likely to squat regardless even where I go. Thinking about it, the sort of ground I'm on about must be plastered with the scent of that day's dog walkers anyway?

Perhaps it's the sound deadening effect of a strong wind that makes the real difference?

I always start off with the best intentions, but when you've got afew rabbits and and stuff and yer getting abit knackered and the winds blowing like hell I dont give a bugger if its behind me or not, i think its more important when its a light wind etc, I was up wind of squatters when it waqs blowing last week and it made no difference and getting a yard from em , you could'nt of done that on a fairly still night down wind of em