scope issue

Having a problem adjusting focus on the scope that accompanied my Hatsan 95 .22 cal rifle. The informational insert that accompanied the rifle

contains a diagram of the scope which purports to identify the location of the visibility adjustment ring  as being item 4 in the diagram, but what

its actually pointing to is the magnification power adjustment ring.  At the forward edge of the the eyepiece,  identified as item 5 in the diagram, is

a knurled ring that may be what is identified as the "visibility adjustment ring".  If that is correct, it is locked down so tightly that it is unmovable. 

I am hesitant to use channel lock pliers on it to see if it will loosen, as I'm certain if I damage it the factory will label that as  abuse.  Can anyone

provide some guidance?  Thanks in advance.

Abigail

Sorry to take so long to get back to Jonjon79 and Philpot, but being a "Newbie", I'm still learning

my way around this site.  When I bought the gun there was no detailed info about the scope, simply said

that it came with one.  Considering that I paid only $160 I wasn't expecting too much. What I got  is an

Optima 3-9x32 scope manufactured by the rifle's manufacturer, Hatsan.  A company rep recently told me

they sell the scope sells for about $37. 

Referring to the attached photo, if you look immediately forward of the eyepiece there is a knurled ring,

whose purpose I believe is to lock down the eyepiece once correct focus is achieved.  Forward of the ring

is the power adjustment, which turns freely and works well.  It is the aforementioned knurled ring that simply

won't move, preventing focal adjustment of the eyepiece. The company rep had no idea how to deal with this issue.

Unless someone suggests an alternate method of loosening it,  channel-lock pliers are what I'll try next, but I'll be

guessing which way to turn it, and risk scarring  the finish if I've guessed wrong.

IMG_2497.JPG

I am not familiar with this scope BUT normally the very edge ring of the eye bell is turned to get the reticle in focus. I have not seen a lock ring at the point of the mag adjustment to control the focus.

I am somewhat puzzled.........?

Perhaps a call to the manufacturer or importer to download an owners manual / operating info.

Phil

No worries :thumbs:

What you've got is a very cheap, generic Chinese scope.  It looks very similar the ones that SMK supply over here. 

I reckon the instruction leaflet is also something that they probably put in with a couple of different models. 

.......... I don't think that other knurled ring actually serves any purpose  - other than maybe being something that the people in the factory can hold when they screw it together.

I think the only adjustments you have are the turrets and the magnification. 

.......... remember, it's a $37 scope  - they have to make it, ship it and sell it and, still make a profit at every step.

I did find a couple of reviews on American forums that were less than favourable. 

........... depending on the power that you're running your Hatsan at, that little scope may not last very long anyway but, it does carry a 1yr warranty  - people have written that Hatsan have been good about sending out a replacement quickly (maybe they know that they've provided a scope that isn't quite up to the job).

But, it's not all bad - for $160, I think you got a lot of rifle for your money, and a walnut stock. 

.......... from what I've seen on line, I actually like the look of the open sights - I'd be tempted to crack on with those for now and, put that scope and mounts in the spares drawer.

:thumbs:

• Like 1