Hedges round ponds

Hi, Right on our syndicate we have quite a few ponds some are quite good at holding duck but there are others that are a bit to open so I was wondering what is the best sort of hedge to plant round the ponds I was thinking of hawthorn so it can be laid in a few years. also how easy it it to grow these from a cutting?

Sam

Are they reared duck or are you just flighting in to the pond? i wouldnt surround the whole of the pond as it could discourage the duck from flighting in, also with reared it helps if you can feed them up the bank so as it helps encourage them off the pond. before you plant up certain banks check wich way the duck flight into the pond so as to not discourage them. hope it helps. :thumbs:

Regards

Aaron

Hi, Right on our syndicate we have quite a few ponds some are quite good at holding duck but there are others that are a bit to open so I was wondering what is the best sort of hedge to plant round the ponds I was thinking of hawthorn so it can be laid in a few years. also how easy it it to grow these from a cutting?

Sam

If you can get hold of some old brick or stone just pile them up & cover them in soil, plant some blackberry bush & let nature take its own course, make sure you build it wide enough to take a couple of seats :thumbs: