Hide shooting

I went to my bit of permission today and it looks a cracking place, lots of pigeons flying over and loads of rabbit runs and holes :) Its only small but comprimises of two small horse paddocks, a rough bit at the end and a small pit which is full of trees etc. There is a cover strip nearby, a field full of beat and a small woods where they feed the pheasants. Ive seen loads of birds around this area including pigeons, partridge, pheasants etc.

I was thinking of setting up a hide at the edge of the pit facing outwards and maybe putting seed down and a few pigeon decoys ???? I have a green popup tent which would do nicely, will this do or will it need a camo net or something draped over the top ???

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated

Little Butch :big_boss:

Yeah the feeders sound quite a good idea. Any ideas how i could make a small un ??

Leon

I think what Tyla means by feeders is decoys that look like they're feeding on the ground.

Depending on what you are shooting with you need to set up a patern that will entice the birds to drop in within range of your gun.

You might have to leave your tent up for a few days so the birds get used to it, pidgeons have excellent eyesight. Good luck and happy shooting. :D

You shouldn't need a hide as such, as you won't be swinging the gun around much. Set your decoys out in a very rough V with the point into the the wind and decoys 'heads' again roughly into the wind. Put on some dull coloured clothes greens/browns (not Black) and crawl back into the nearest hedge/bush and relax!!! (Try putting your furthest decoy at about 30-35 yds as a range marker)

You shouldn't need a hide as such, as you won't be swinging the gun around much. Set your decoys out in a very rough V with the point into the the wind and decoys 'heads' again roughly into the wind. Put on some dull coloured clothes greens/browns (not Black) and crawl back into the nearest hedge/bush and relax!!! (Try putting your furthest decoy at about 30-35 yds as a range marker)

Cheers mate that sounds good :) I think i'll use my tent still, will keep me out of the wind and a bit warmer :laugh:

Little Butch

Cheers mate that sounds good I think i'll use my tent still, will keep me out of the wind and a bit warmer

Little Butch

Just wear some thermal undies you wuss!!! :tongue2: :11:

Hides need to be blended into their background by using shadow and/or differant natural colours to break up their outline or they will stand out from a mile, so unless your going to leave the tent out permenatly covered in dead grass/branches it won't be worth it. In which case you might as well use a camo net or do as Millet said and build a permanent natural one (ask the landowner first!!!).

One easy way is to get 4ft by 12ft of cheap chicken wire (about £10-12 down B&Q for 30ft) with four hazel poles to attach it to. build a box against the hedge/wood (with the hedge or wood as your fourth side) then stuff it with grass and Ivy etc. then just cut out slots for your air rifle barrel. It's a good way as you'll only need to do this once as the local fauna will use it as a climbing frame in the spring! plus it's easy to remove if the farmer needs to cut the hedge.

Have Fun!

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff