.38 special reloader

Hi there. I am afraid I am not really a hunter, unless you include fishing. 

I have signed up as I've come across a load of shooting stuff while going through my dads belongings and wondered if any of it is worth keeping, or whether to take it to the tip. 

Pre dunblane he was in a shooting club and I remember (I would only have been about 10 years old) he had various pistols - .38 special, .22, and 9mm (these were surrendered after Dunblane). We have found his old reloading press. I can see at least one die marked .38. I am sure (although I was only 10!!) that he also reloaded .22's with this as well. 

Obviously I know that you cant use this ammo in a pistol any more - hence having to surrender his guns. But I wasn't sure if it was applicable for any hunting applications/rifles. Perhaps this is something that someone in the know would be able to tell me fairly easily?

There was also loads of gunpowder and precussion caps, which I am going to drop off at the police station. I assume having the reloading press and brass cartridges is legal without a licence though? 

Here is the press. As I remember it could push out the spent caps. Re-flare the cartridge, I think it could also add lube to grooves in the bullets, then press them into the cartridge:

IMG-20190831-112759.jpg

The little .22 cartridges soldered onto the sticks were his measures for gunpowder:

IMG-20190831-112811.jpg

IMG-20190831-112841.jpg

Looks like he got half way through these. (no powder or bullets fitted though!)

IMG-20190831-112909.jpg

IMG-20190831-112950.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are very few people who use/are conditioned to use, .38 Special for hunting applications in the UK, although there are certainly some, 9mm must be virtually zero!  There are still some LBP that use these calibres though.

I am not sure what you are saying about .22, if it is .22 Rimfire it is very difficult, time consuming and not really cost effective to reload what will almost always be inconsistent cartridges!