A day away from the other half's!!!! For 3 ???

so it was all planned a nice morning ferreting with "Tyla" in tow having a run and a couple of guns as back up!!! :gunsmilie: final arangements made yesterday then whilst driving home the heavens opened :no: but still must press on.

slept through my alarm and got prodded byt the wife 25 minutes before my meeting time, but the sky's were clear :clapper::clapper: then the phone call came from my new friend paul ( aka TYLA ) a lovely lad who i hope to spend many a day shooting coney's with :icon_redface: ) "My Friend's not coming, marital problems! there's gonna be no ferret's!" we agreed to meet and have a wonder anyway and let the dog have a run and see if we could find something about. :hmm:

an hour later than arranged we finally met at the meeting point had a quick chat and set off for one of paul's permission's a lovely peace of land stretching as far as you could see (ideal lamping) and whilst discussing the plan (being now without ferret's) a open backed van pull's up and a guy jumps out walking his 3 yapping dog's :doh: the days going so well :no:

he left quite quickly so we continued........... :yes: finally some action on the back of the lake were some outbuildings i stalked up and saw a 2 coney's chewing on some fresh nettle's the first bolted but gave me a clear shot as the second tried to melt into the ground 25 yards and pop first safe in the bag. continued to walk around the lake and on the second circuit paul stalked a rabbit for about ten minutes with me and tyla hanging back. he crawled, shifted, sat, sighted and shot and MISSED :censored: "there was a twig" he said!!! i heard the richochet as the rabbit was spared for today. we got back to the vehicle and decided what to do by now being 11 oclock i checked my phone and my permission had called back!!! we had a second crack.. :boogie::boogie:

we parked up and got to the squirrel wood plenty of activity but decided to hit it on the way back :) had a nice walk through to the best part of my permission and paul had the easiest shot of the day a chubby grey stuck to a branch no more than 12 yards away :yes: shot fired and a somersaulting (like something outta the matrix) the squirrel bolted. still one nil to me the paul!!! started to the rabbit valley and then paul came into his own!! a 45 yarder sat on the wet deck with the bipod at full stretch :clapper: tyla was off and made sure the stone dead rabbit was not going anywhere :D after that we had one more place to look and that gave me a 37 yard standing shot to the back of the head down hill :boxing: we started back and the sky's got dark and the rain started so we left the grey's alone and decided to visit the pub for a quick pint and a chat in the dry.... :drink:

overal had a fantastic day with paul and tyla who is a lovely lurcher and is going to be a great dog in pauls hands. final count 3 rabbits and 1 twig!!! :hmm: still dont think thats on the quarry list paul :whistling: but thanks for the day.

post-11466-1199559264_thumb.jpg

post-11466-1199559282_thumb.jpg

Edited by zebedee321

A great day out from a not so promising start! The story is as above and i have to admit my performance was not up to scratch to start with :icon_redface: by the third miss i was wondering if anyone would ever take me seriously again! Luckily i made it up towards the end of the day and honour was satisfied! :D

Always nice to meet a genuine bloke and good to be able to share ground. i must say John's permission is a quality bit of land and i hope he enjoyed a wander round mine. No doubt we will be doing it again soon, hopefully next time we will have the full party, the three of us, Tyla and the ferrets!

A big thank you to John! :thumbs: