only a vet could tell you whats going on in there.. if he's sterile you MIGHT be able to get him on hormones or something.. but again thats all vet business.

some people pay tons of money to repair a sterile dog. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Hi,

I work on a stud farm and we collect and export semen for artificial insemination. Obviously, there will be differences between horse and dog semen but the most important points are:

1. Sperm count (how many he has per ml.)

2. Progressive motility (they have to be active swimmers or they won't reach the egg)

Any sport horse stud will have a spermacue to measure the sperm count and a microscope for the motility. I'm sure that if you ask nicely that they might help you out. The only question is how do you get a fresh sample into a jar. It has to be very fresh as it starts to die the minute it meets air.

The physical condition of a dog has absolutely no bearing on the sperm count of a dog...if the dogs overweight or underweight it wont effect his fertiltiy....as staffman says,get a sperm count done...unless the dogs a banned breed it wont matter what work the dog shows......infertility is not genetic so no point comparing to sire or relations etc....is the dog inbred ? inbreeding will always reduce numbers in a litter but not necessarily fertility...if you are sure your bang on the bitches time then a sperm count is the only sure way of getting an answer.

Alright mate have a look at this website http://www.fitandfertile.com. Guy called Keith Shea based in lancashire. Known as the scan man he comes out and scans bitches at your home. Also does alrtificial insemination, ovulation evaluation of bitches and tells you exactly what day to be meeting eggs with sperm and also does fertility testing on stud dogs. Hes a very handy fella to know and as far as im aware travels all over the country so may be worth booking him when hes down your end. I used him to inseminate one of my pug dogs to a bitch that refused to stand. He collected the semen and noticed my stud seemed a bit uncomfortable while in the tie. He checked the sperm under a microscope and the sperm counter to find about 50% viable sperm i.e curly,short or broken tails and very limited mobility. This was sorted with antibiotics and powder ontop of each meal called fit n fertile which he developed himself. Within two weeks his coat was shining he was on top form and had near perfect % of sperm per mil with great mobility.

I know the vets can be pricey and sometimes unethical in the amount of shite they suggest the dog will require you to purchase from them in order to get him back on top.

Have a gander anyway and hope you get him sorted out! nothing worse then waiting in anticipation for pups!!

Ant :thumbs: