hi peeps, i was given a DSLR Canon T1i or known as a D500 (09-10), i gave it to my wife to try and encourage her into a bit of photography, but i don't know if she will use it.....it would be nice if she did....has anyone used/owned one? 

• Like 2

I started out with a Canon EOS 600D which is the model down from what you’ve bought your wife...

youtube is generally the best place for info and tutorials and learning “the exposure triangle” which is the fundamentals of what she needs to understand but can be a head fcuk...

A good baseline would be to put in AV mode, set ISO to auto and she controls the aperture - F stops...

F4 will give shallow depth of field - background all blurry and subject in focus as long as there’s distance between background and subject...

F11 would give more depth of field - more background in focus with foreground/subject

The lower the F number the more blurry

The higher the F number the more in focus the whole image will be if that makes sense ???

low f number for portraits/wildlife 

high f number for landscape/groups of people/street photography..

If there’s anything specific she wants to know please post the questions ?

• Like 3
5 hours ago, zandy01 said:

I started out with a Canon EOS 600D which is the model down from what you’ve bought your wife...

youtube is generally the best place for info and tutorials and learning “the exposure triangle” which is the fundamentals of what she needs to understand but can be a head fcuk...

A good baseline would be to put in AV mode, set ISO to auto and she controls the aperture - F stops...

F4 will give shallow depth of field - background all blurry and subject in focus as long as there’s distance between background and subject...

F11 would give more depth of field - more background in focus with foreground/subject

The lower the F number the more blurry

The higher the F number the more in focus the whole image will be if that makes sense ???

low f number for portraits/wildlife 

high f number for landscape/groups of people/street photography..

If there’s anything specific she wants to know please post the questions ?

Thankyou very much for your expertise/advice on this zandy, much appreciated.....she's more of a point and shoot kind of girl which is fine....but, if i can keep this camera as close to a point and shoot to start off with she might start to venture abit further on the settings in time.....(i'm hoping) thanks again bud.....

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, tillylamp said:

Thankyou very much for your expertise/advice on this zandy, much appreciated.....she's more of a point and shoot kind of girl which is fine....but, if i can keep this camera as close to a point and shoot to start off with she might start to venture abit further on the settings in time.....(i'm hoping) thanks again bud.....

AV mode is kinda like  semi auto - point and shoot..

Just means she has a little more control and will start understanding what she/the camera is doing...

The beauty of digital is if photos are shite then just delete em, nothing to lose.

• Like 2