Shotgun Advice Wanted

Can someone give me some advice on buying a shotgun. Apart from pottering about with air rifles as a kid and shooting 9mm handguns at a club I have very little experence shooting as I prefer to see dogs working. However I have just got some shooting access for rabbit, crow and pigeon and rather than look a gift horse in the mouth and was hoping somebody could help with explaining how to apply for a license and any good websites to look at "cheap" guns. Wolud you suggest a twelve bore or 410? :blink::icon_eek:

Guest whippet

This website will guide you through everything, it even has the forms.

A good place to look for cheap guns is in the racks at your local gunshops, also keep an eye out on the sales section here. And 12 bore, .410 has it's uses but for a beginner and all round shotgun go for a 12.

Guest thunderbelly

Remington 870 supermagnum express, shoots 2 3/4" shells, 3 " shells and 3 1/2" shells comes with a modified choke will shoot slugs to number 9 shot right out of the box. you can change the choke if you want different pattern but so far the modified has done me just fine. This gun is based on a tried and tested design and is VERY easy to maintain. do not use inexpensive shotgun cartriges in it though as the thin walls of the casings swell and jam the gun.

www.remington.com

Guest wheres wally?

I would suggest a 12 gauge as its far better for general shooting. A.410 is good for short range pest control like magpies and rabbits close range.

I have been shooting for a while now, and i prefer a nice over and under multi choke, (used for rough and clay shooting) however whatever type of gun you decide on you need to make sure it feels right when you hold it.Any good gunsmiths will be more than helpful to you if you pop in and have a look. :search:

Guest wheres wally?

Yes you have seen me shoot on a bad day. But you were shooting from the hip and at a distance from the target of mm's.

To put it frankly you couldnt hit a bulls bottom with a cricket bat!

You dont need a 12 bore more like a blunder buster!!!!!!!!!! :friends: :yahoo: