certain topics of interest, Falconry adventures.

Lutra Lutra

It would be of great interest to find any particular people who fly such a bird  in the modern day environment of today, however, I don't think the modern day environment suits such birds, and i'll commit myself to say in that it takes somewhat different a person to do a bird such justice. However , I may be wrong, but i'm not one for the new applied methods and the often new contraptions provided to falconers of today.

I am talking of the perhaps my most favoured of the Shortwings: namely the very, somewhat difficult Sparrow hawk. The history of such birds happened many years ago now, whereas a very experienced Falconer asked myself if my (Musket) would take on a large party of Tree Sparrows that were chatting and squabbling amongst themselves in a very thick Hawthorn hedge. Of which I confidently replied the birds would  not  just take them on, but happily slay certain victims within the bunch of birds of birds also and also proving himself to be a very adept Black Bird hawk.

Unfortunately my bird, (Jez) was subsequently lost after his successful flights at earlier Hedge Sparrows and then of the somewhat stupendous flight at a beautiful, and fit Song Thush. "I have the wings as a memento to mark the somewhat excellent and glorious flight. "He was as many people can testify a good Black bird Hawk, and on another memorable occasion also took a little owl. the Little Owl being released and totally unharmed without any further injury.

Edited by Lutra Lutra
computer mistake.
  • Like 3

I would like to fly a Spar one day, but I am having lots of fun with the Goshawk. 

I flew a German tiercel for 8 years who flew at 1lb 5 and he took quite a few LBJs in his career as well as crows, duck etc.

A Spar would be great fun to fly especially a musket but they seem very fragile and reckless and I doubt if many last more than a few seasons.

I have never hunted with hawks, falcon of any kind but last few years I have watched a pair of sparrow hawks that nest on some of my ferreting permission, sat and watched them for hours, mostly they were taken small birds, one morning I watched one swooping at baby rabbits and to my surprise it took one. Do  s hawks couple up for life or find new mate each year. Thinking about getting a camera on them if they nest this year. Atb

Hello David, It was good to hear about your experiences regarding the Sparrow hawks hunting and catching young Rabbits. Of course any particular Falconer , naturalist or hunters know only too well that the (Spars) mainly catch birds and it is always the female of the species in question that will take young Rabbits. Many years ago in a certain local patch of Sherwood Forest, a place called (Thieves Wood) I contently watched a female take young Rabbits on numerous occasions. However, for one to witness such a spectacle is not a common occurrence, so you did decidedly well indeed to see such an event.In my humble opinion, I think the Sparrow hawk for its diminutive and somewhat delicate weight is one of certain renown and is very difficult to equal. All of the (shortwing) family are excellent hunters. "I can only talk about certain situations that I have personally experienced for myself and also seen and had the fortunate privilege of seeing friends or other Falconer's birds in the field.

The Sparrow hawk has always, and will always be a firm favourite when talking about any of the (Raptors) and of which i'd also include the Cooper's Hawk, Shikra, sharp -shinned and also of course the Goshawk.

One of the finest of sights to see is the "Blackbird" hawking using Sparrow hawks, especially  the Muskets and is both a fast and furious sport of which one never forgets!

"It is quite breath-taking at the somewhat array of quarry species that is so often taken,especially by the females. However, Muskets can also be very impressive in the right hands.....

On 21/01/2018 at 11:19, Jerry71 said:

I have never hunted with hawks, falcon of any kind but last few years I have watched a pair of sparrow hawks that nest on some of my ferreting permission, sat and watched them for hours, mostly they were taken small birds, one morning I watched one swooping at baby rabbits and to my surprise it took one. Do  s hawks couple up for life or find new mate each year. Thinking about getting a camera on them if they nest this year. Atb

On 18/01/2018 at 18:00, david901 said:

I would like to fly a Spar one day, but I am having lots of fun with the Goshawk. 

I flew a German tiercel for 8 years who flew at 1lb 5 and he took quite a few LBJs in his career as well as crows, duck etc.

A Spar would be great fun to fly especially a musket but they seem very fragile and reckless and I doubt if many last more than a few seasons.