I was out in the fields today for four hours and there was no ground water anywhere for the dogs to drink. I was wondering what is the best for the dogs? When do I give them a drink of water? How often? Can they become dehydrated? If they seem really exhausted I will usually give them a sip of water out of a water bottle. But is this necessary? Will water give them cramps? How much water and when?

:hmm:

Small amounts of water whilst they're working won't hurt them at all: in fact I'd consider it a necessity if they are doing a lot of running and panting. If I'm out all day I'll take a small coke bottle of water with a dash of Recharge in it: not 100% necessary I know but I feel better giving them electrolytes when they are running long distances several times during the day. I just give them the equivalent of half a tea cup full at a time. Water only stays in the stomach for 20 minutes before it is absorbed into the system so small amounts at a time won't hurt if they're running. Electrolytes also stop them developing coursing thirst which is when the dog drinks and drinks and drinks in an attempt to rehydrate itself when its run really dry. Its the minerals etc their body needs in cases like that, not just gallons of water.

"Hot" dogs need it more than very mongrelised and Saluki bred lurchers: ie the more Greyhound in a dog, the more sprinty types with fast twitch muscles are more likely to dehydrate.

Hope this helps.

I carry a 3L 'Camelback' which I drink from myself and squirt into the dogs mouth, they soon get the hang of standing under the stream of water. Water is the only thing that will keep the dog properly hydrated, I wouldn't use the tea and honey in the field. If any of your dogs ever overheat, which is a real problem in Aus. try and get them to a body of water and submerse everything but their head, this seems to work a treat. Just my personal experiences though, hope it has helped.

it's always easy to give water , but surely if you have planned your hunting trip , you would ,or should give your dog electroytes for 2 days before you go out , then some more , with a small amount of warm milk with some honey , just to replace all the body salts they will have lost, when you return , followed by a good massage

Edited by dennned

We always hydrate well when feeding and as much clean fresh water when at rest,before the dog is worked we take the water of him about 4 hours before hence increasing red blood cells,while in the field he can get a short lap periodically but after the last hunt as much as he can drink.

The water withdrawal increases red cells which aid cooling and does a similar job to B12 carrying oxegen to the muscles ,although depending where you hunt and the temperature its best to have acloser look at any attempt at water withdrawal

HI, ME DAD USED TO RUN CROSS-COUNTRY AND DISTANCE RACES FOR A LOCAL CLUB . SOME OF HIS TRAINING RUNS WERE OVER 20 MILES AND HE SAID THAT IF HE TOOK ON JUST WATER IT DILUTED THE SALTS OR MINERALS OR WHATEVER HE STILL HAD IN HIS SYSTEM SO ELECTROLITES WERE ESSENTIAL , NO IDEA IF ITS THE SAME FOR DOGS THOUGH ,AND HES WELL HYDRATED ON GUINESS NOW SO I CANT ASK HIM. JACKO :bye: